University of Northampton School of Social Sciences – Division of Law

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 10/16/2014 - 19:33

The University of Northampton is ranked number 44 in the UK by the Guardian University Guide 2015. In 2013, the University of Northampton’s overall student satisfaction rate was 88% in the National Student Survey (NSS). In addition, our students were 90% satisfied with the teaching on their course, with 93% of students believing that staff are good at explaining things (Source: National Student Survey 2013).

All students have the opportunity to work in a social enterprise alongside their programme of study, this allows all students (irrespective of their chosen specialism) to develop new entrepreneurial skills and competencies to further enhance their employability. In February 2013 the University confirmed its place at the cutting edge of innovation in higher education by becoming the UK’s first and only Ashoka U Changemaker campus.

The School of Social Sciences offers both Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses in a range of subject areas including History, Law, Policing and Psychology, amongst others. Our academic staff are experts in their field and have an international reputation for research and teaching excellence.

Our main focus is to develop students to think and work collaboratively as well as independently, benefiting from a variety of teaching styles delivered by truly dedicated academic staff. Above all we ensure that students are prepared for life after university by learning how to apply their theoretical knowledge to solving problems in the real world.

The Division of Law within the School of Social Sciences offers courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, as well as offering supervision for postgraduate research degrees (MPhil and PhD). The team of lecturers is drawn from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences and include a number of qualified solicitors and barristers, and a serving tribunal chair.

There are two LLB Courses which run at the University – the LLB (Hons), which is a standard three-year programme, and the LLB (Hons) Intensive, which is a two year programme. Both are recognised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and Bar Standards Board in the UK, and the 3-year LLB is also recognised by the Bar Council of India. Both courses offer a focus on skills development and give students innovative opportunities to put their practical legal skills into practice, including a moot room, pro bono law clinics, and a streetlaw project, alongside many and varied opportunities for volunteering in the community.

What do our students say about the LLB?

At Postgraduate level, the Division offers two LLM Courses – LLM International Commercial Law and LLM International Criminal Law and Security. Both of these courses are delivered face to face in Northampton, and as online courses, and are open to all graduates with a sufficiently high level degree in Law (subject to reaching the requisite English Language level (IELTS 6.5)).

What do our students say about the LLM?

The Division has just released a free of charge International Law Open Online Course (ILOOC), which is the University of Northampton’s first subject-specific Open Online Course.

Over the coming weeks, we will use this blog to showcase the work of our lecturing team and students, and would welcome any comments or questions

Article references
asiancorrespondent.com