You are hereEvery year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

vanishpa's picture

By vanishpa - Posted on 11 April 2013

Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Although we even ignore their existence, every year in the world we lose several languages. Many people believe that this loss is not big enough for us to be concerned about as everyone's is going to take advantage of fewer languages in terms of simplicity. However, I do not agree with this thought for two main reasons.

The first reason is that by losing a language we lose much more than what we think. We lose history, traditions, uses and every single thing of the population who used to speak that language. What would it happen if we had lost Latin language for instance? We would not have read about the wars and the fights of Cicerone and we would not have had any information about how they used to live their lives, how they would organize themselves at that time neither information on their social lives.

The other aspect I believe should be considered, is that by losing a language we are not going to make our lives easier but just poorer. It is obviously not even thinkable to learn some languages in the world, first because I guess most of them are spoken by a very few people such as tribes or indigenous people, second because whoever approaches a new language does it with specific purposes. However, it is still a thought by most that the best way to enrich our lives, open our minds and understand others can be reached by communications and therefore learning each other's language.

In conclusion, I strongly believe we will not have an easier life by letting some languages disappear but on the contrary, we should take some measures to preserve them as much as we can.