GIVING DETAIL INFORMATION OF CRIMES IN NEWSPAPER AND ON TELEVISION HAS BAD CONSEQUENCES SOME SUGGEST THAT GOVERNMENT SHOULD IMPOSE SOME RESTRICTION ON THEM WHAT EXTENT YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE

There has been a controversial issue in press at present in regards to whether or not the detailed information of offences should be released to general public. Some people insist on the view that the censorship should ban this news as avoiding instability in the community. As far as I am concerned, I tend to disagree with this contention and will justify my reasons below.

First of all, people have the rights to acknowledge what is happening around them, so that the media should be accountable for reporting the truths to the citizens, even though there is a crime. In addition, people would be able to raise self-defense awareness if they have been informed that there is a criminal at large, and therefore it would help facilitate citizens’ life and property security.

Secondly, on the practical level, the general public could contribute to help arrest offenders. For instance, the witnesses will contact the police immediately when they see a criminal who is on the wanted list. As a result, the human resource and revenue of the authorities would be saved by cooperation between police and citizens.

There are, however, a number of problems would be caused by publishing this news. Firstly, releasing criminal information will lead to anxious atmosphere among people. Consequently, people will worry about their security, especially there is a series killer has not been caught yet. Another related point is the harmony of society, on the whole, might be affected by increasing feeling of insecurity, which will constitute skepticism and disappointment toward the government. From this point of view, the censorship would provide restraints to the press in terms of reporting criminal news.

In conclusion, I concede that the pressure of the authorities would be raised by releasing detailed information of crimes to general public, but I still believe that it will be better off if citizens have the notice and they are capable to create precautions, thus would not only protect themselves but also help the government.