You are hereIt has been said, “Not every thing that is learned is contained in books.”Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

It has been said, “Not every thing that is learned is contained in books.”Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

marzieh's picture

By marzieh - Posted on 03 February 2013

It has been said, “Not every thing that is learned is contained in books.”

Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

Every one can earn knowledge in two different ways. One of the way is he or she use experience of other people and another way is he or she read a book. Both of these ways are completely different.

There are many different between these two ways and I consider some of them. Firstly, information is published on a book is result of many years researches by scientists. Most of the time these results are reasonable, we can trust them. While, experience of people is earned by chance. People get information in different events and different situation. Sometimes two people in same situation have two different experience. For example when we have a cold, every body has different recipe, one person believe the best cure for clod is chicken soup and might be another person do not agree with way and the think the best way is go to doctor. Secondly, using of experience is free. We could easily ask people about their knowledge and use of them. However, If we need a book, we must buy it or barrow it from a library. These process is costly.

In my opinion, although experience of people are very valuable, books are more important than experience. When a book is written, obviously, book's writer use experience of other people. Correct results and information are collected in books, so books are more trustable. In addition, experiences are forgotten after a couple of years or they might be change, but books are not like that. They always be saved and if a changes are happened, old book will not change and a new book will publish for new changes.

Merlizes USA

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more and more important. This trend is seriously damaging our quality of life. To what extent do you agree or disagree? liantriying
Television is dangerous because it destroys family life and any sense of community instead of visiting people talking with our family we just watch television .To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? manu sidhu
Scientists and the news media are presenting ever more evidence of climate change. Governments cannot be expected to solve this problem. It is the responsibility of individuals to change their lifestyle to prevent further damage.What are your views? sfaht1 sticky icon
It is generally agreed that society benefits from the work of its members.Compare the contributions of artists to society with the contributions of scientists to society.Which type of contribution do you think is valued more by your society? Give specific helia123
Nowadays people show more anti-social behaviour and lack of respect to others. What are the causes? How could we improve the situation? hari100
Writing Task 1You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.A friend you met last year has invited you to visit them in their country. You have never been there before and need some information before you leave.Write a letter to your friend. In you lette Hany Sheta sticky icon
IELTS essay: write a letter to appreciate the development of a restaurant essayking
The chart below shows the percentage of male and female teachers in six different types of educational setting in the UK in 2010.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. Fadlanmuzakki
You saw an advertisement for a position to look after a house in Scotland while the owner is away, write a letter to the owner and say- Introduce yourself.- Why are you interested in this job?- Ask some questions about the job. marzieh
The chart below shows numbers of incidents and injuries per 100 million passenger miles travelled (PMT) by transportation type in 2002. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. MisterWandering sticky icon

Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? shi24 sticky icon
Some people believe that success in life depends on hard work and determination, while others believe that other factors like money and personal appearance are important. Discuss both views and give your opinion. Lê Kim Kiều Anh
The chart below shows the total number of minutes of telephone calls in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002. Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people think the environmental protection can only be addressed at international level. Do you agree or disagree? white_eagle@live.cn
Some people agree that teachers should be strict with their students; others believe that teachers with friendly approach will achieve better results. Discuss and give your opinion. Justin sticky icon
Recycling is a pointless activity, it is fraught with inefficiency. Governments need to develop policies to tackle waste and other issues at source. Farkhad
People nowadays live longer than they used to. What caused this situation? Is it a negative or positive development? Justin sticky icon
Many people think that money brings hapiness,others think that having too much money is a probelem.discuss both views and give your own opinion? gurtej sidhu
Under British and Australian laws a jury in a criminal case has no access to information about the defendant's past criminal record. This protects the person who is being accused of the crime.Some lawyers have suggested that this practice should be change Shokh sticky icon
The bar chart shows the scores of teams A,B and C over four different seasons. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant. shi24

"Prevention is better than cure."Out of country's health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health education and preventive measures. carmela6 sticky icon
Write a letter to a manager of the taxi company to complain about the problem with the taxi service used by you.• When and where you used the taxi• Describe a problem you have faced• What do you expect the manager to do? swapnay sticky icon
The charts below give information on the ages of the populations of Yemen and Italy in 2000 and projections for 2050Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant Shokh sticky icon
Media portrays young people as lazy and disrespectful.Do u think this true?Are young people today worse than their parents or does ,every new generation get criticized by older people? awais sticky icon
International community must act immediately to ensure all nations to reduce their consumption of fossil fuels e.g gas and oil. To what extent do you agree or disagree Lê Kim Kiều Anh sticky icon
Some people think saving money is good, but others think that spending money is a better way to enjoy life. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. gainer04 sticky icon
The graph and table give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. luckysun sticky icon

Sentence: One of the way is he or she use experience of other people and another way is he or she read a book.
Description: The fragment she use experience is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace use with verb, past tense

Sentence: For example when we have a cold, every body has different recipe, one person believe the best cure for clod is chicken soup and might be another person do not agree with way and the think the best way is go to doctor.
Description: The fragment person believe the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace believe with verb, past tense
Description: The token the is not usually followed by a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to the and think

Try to correct those gram errors. Don't repeat errors.

Expand your ideas with examples.