Essay topics: The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer.
People's thinking is obtained from the information which comes from various sources, especially mass media. Every house has at least one kind of mass media, whether it is TV, radio, or newspaper. I personally support that the mass media have strong effect in forming people’s thinking for some reasons.
Firstly, some people utilize mass media for their own interest. Spreading idea through the mass media is like doctrination but in faster way and wider range. By on air broadcasting, an information is spreaded to many people in many places in short time. Some studies show that people could spend more than five until eight hours each day to watch tv, listen to radio, or read newspaper. Furhermore, the development of technology creates a new trend of enjoying the mass media by internet. The ease of access, cheap cost, and mobility increase the amount of people who obtain information from the mass media. According to this fact, the mass media affects in forming ideas of greater number of people supported by the development of technology.
Secondly, human brain works every second absorbing informations consciously and unconsciously. In many cases, human keeps unconsciously absorbed information rather than consciously absorbed one. By repetition of the same information, the mass media unintentionally shapes people’s ideas. The clearest fact today shows that with much news about crime published almost everyday through TV, radio, and newspaper, people start to accept that crime is an ordinary matter in their life. It results in the increasing of crime rate committed from unconsciously absorbed information which is obtained from mass media. This fact proves that the repetition of the same information every day, people accept the truth of one statement.
In conclusion, it seem to me that people’s thinking today is mostly affected by the information obtained from mass media. Even, a statement considered wrong at the first time could change to be right.
- The two graphs below show the percentage of smokes and the consumption of alcohol in litres in selected countries, for the period 1960 - 2000. Summarize the information by choosing and reporting the key features, and make any relevant comparisons (77.1429)
- The diagrams below show how chocolate is made and how the price of a chocolate bar is divided up among those involved in the process. Summarize the information by choosing and reporting the key features, and make any relevant comparisons. (80)
- The chart and table show the number fishers in millions for different regions between 1970, 1980, and 2000, and the world's top ten exporters of fish in 2000. Summarize the information by choosing and reporting the key features, an maka any relevant compa (72)
- The three diagrams below show the development of, and plans for, the coastal zone of Brightsea. Summarize the information by choosing and reporting the key features, and make any relevant comparisons (80)
- Average age at marriage in England and Wales (70)
- “Telecommuting” refers to workers doing their jobs from home for part of each week and communicating with their office using computer technology. Telecommuting is growing in many countries and is expected to be common for most office workers in the coming (85.33329999999999)
- Should rich countries pay more for environmental damage? (65.9259)
- Should developing countries concentrate on improving industrial skills or should they promote education first? (65.83329999999999)
- The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer. (79.1071)
- Nowadays animal experiments are widely used to develop new medicines and to test the safety of other products. Some people argue that these experiments should be banned because it is morally wrong to cause animals to suffer, while others are in favour of (73.33329999999999)