The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer.

Essay topics: The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer.

mikrarlagowa's picture

People's thinking is obtained from the information which comes from various sources, especially mass media. Every house has at least one kind of mass media, whether it is TV, radio, or newspaper. I personally support that the mass media have strong effect in forming people’s thinking for some reasons.

Firstly, some people utilize mass media for their own interest. Spreading idea through the mass media is like doctrination but in faster way and wider range. By on air broadcasting, an information is spreaded to many people in many places in short time. Some studies show that people could spend more than five until eight hours each day to watch tv, listen to radio, or read newspaper. Furhermore, the development of technology creates a new trend of enjoying the mass media by internet. The ease of access, cheap cost, and mobility increase the amount of people who obtain information from the mass media. According to this fact, the mass media affects in forming ideas of greater number of people supported by the development of technology.

Secondly, human brain works every second absorbing informations consciously and unconsciously. In many cases, human keeps unconsciously absorbed information rather than consciously absorbed one. By repetition of the same information, the mass media unintentionally shapes people’s ideas. The clearest fact today shows that with much news about crime published almost everyday through TV, radio, and newspaper, people start to accept that crime is an ordinary matter in their life. It results in the increasing of crime rate committed from unconsciously absorbed information which is obtained from mass media. This fact proves that the repetition of the same information every day, people accept the truth of one statement.

In conclusion, it seem to me that people’s thinking today is mostly affected by the information obtained from mass media. Even, a statement considered wrong at the first time could change to be right.