Some people think that the universities should provide graduates with skills and knowledge needen in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should to be give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the cours

Some people think that the universities should provide graduates with skills and knowledge needen in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should to be give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer.
What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?

Education will always play an important role in any countries. There is no doubt the better education of people in a country, the better that country will be . University is one place for people to achieve a high level education before they involve in real problems in workplaces. Some people argue that universities should provide skillful and knowledgeable graduates needed in workplaces. In spite of creating skillful graduates to work, in my opinion, a university should virtually be a center of knowledge, regardless of whether the course is useful or not to employers.

To get a job, some skills such as communication, leadership or solving problem are often required but they are not generally included in the curriculum of school/universities. I think these problems must be personally solved instead of university's jobs. Moreover, people can solve that by having some experiences in organization and participating several training.

The main functions of university are to be center of science and knowledge by learning or conducting research. A university must be a place to produce educated people with a strong basic knowledge in their major. A university is not a place to create workers, but the graduates might enter workplaces as workers to work with the knowledge they achieve in the university or without it.

To sum up, the main function of a university is to be a developer of science and knowledge as well as a facilitator for people in conducting research. A need of an employer to have skillful employees can be fulfill by training the people or looking at graduates of specific school such as polytechnic.