Some people consider public libraries to be unnecessary due to the availability of information on the Internet. Others, however, believe that libraries can still play an important role in society. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

No one would deny that with the high accessibility of the Internet, libraries have been given less importance in society, compared to the past. While some people believe that the public libraries are no longer essential because of the Internet, I believe that libraries still make a positive contribution in our societies.

On the one hand, the Internet enables the users to obtain a wide range of information regardless of their locations. People would not travel to a local library in order to read books or any other reading materials as they have access to the information via the web research. For example, if an individual inserts few keywords on the websites, he will be given a rich variety of the related information from all over the world within a minute. Therefore, using the Internet for acquiring information may cause a situation where visiting libraries seem to have no necessity for the Internet users.

Nevertheless, I do believe that the existence of libraries in society should not be able to regard as pointless. A library is much more than a means of distribution of the information; it also has a vital role in a whole community through different sorts of workshops. Those arranged classes may become a key to tackling some social problems. To take Denmark as example, the public libraries have held several community activities, such as computer teaching sessions for the old to lessen the generation gap in using technology devices and the recruitment resources centre for job-seekers to curtail unemployment rates. By having libraries, people will continuously acquire a variety of information, which benefits the society.

To recapitulate, even though it is preferable for the public to use the Internet for the rapid acquisition of information instead of libraries, I believe that libraries possess more benefits not only for users but also for a society.

libraries have been given less importance in society,
libraries have given less importance in society,

where visiting libraries seem to have no necessity for the Internet users.
where visiting libraries seems to have no necessity for the Internet users.