Topic: Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems.To what extent do you agree or disagree?What other measures do you think might be effective?

Topic: Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

What other measures do you think might be effective?

Fuel, particularly petrol, is the driving force of the modern world. It is used for operating all kinds of machinery and equipment. The most common use of gasoline, however, is in automobiles. This also leads to increase in pollution as the roads are filled with all sorts of cars, buses and trucks. Some believe that the solution to this problem is raising the cost of petrol.

On one hand, this increase in consumer price of petrol just might resolve our traffic jams and environmental problems. Fewer people will be able to afford driving cars, and even they will drive when it’s absolutely necessary. Also, more revenue will be generated from the increase in cost of petrol. For instance, one might prefer walking to a nearby market when gas is expensive, thus causing less traffic on the road and lesser CO2 emissions.

On the other hand, this will be a huge burden on the middle class. They might not be able to use cars even for urgent matters. Also, this will lead to higher fares being charged by public transporters, which again will burden the common man. For example, a laborer will not be able to either afford a car or use the bus.

After considering both outcomes, I do not agree to the idea of increasing gas prices being the solution for worsening traffic and pollution issues. In turn, what can really help, is manufacturing more fuel efficient hybrid cars, which give great gas mileage along with negligible CO2 emissions. Also, improving the infrastructure of roads can be another promising solution.