Individuals can do nothing to change society Any new developments can only be brought about by governments and large institutions How far do you agree or disagree

Individuals can do nothing to change society. Any new developments can only be brought about by governments and large institutions. How far do you agree or disagree?

The role of individuals in changing society is one of the issues widely discussed around the world. Some feel that citizens can do nothing to change society, while others argue with them. In my opinion, no matter what your position is, everyone can change our life for the better.

We must acknowledge that sometimes all of us feel absolutely helpless to change anything. I, personally, experience this feeling when I watch the news on TV. Do the authorities want to convince the viewers that nothing depends on them? If they do, their aim is 100% achieved. I can neither influence the level of crimes nor corruption. Moreover, I am not able to increase the standards of education nor ameliorate air pollution. Does it mean the only thing I have to do is just observe, not participate? My answer is: No. I am not going to become a passive viewer, complaining all the time and cursing the government.

There is another approach, which is more beneficial both for individuals and society. No matter where we are and what position we hold, we all can participate in one way or another in new developments, not expecting them to be brought about by larger institutions. For instance, I can go beyond my duties, working as a teacher. If I see two students arguing during the break or bullying their classmate, I have to stop and interfere, even though my classes are over. The main thing is not to be indifferent to what is going on around. Another example is if I see a broken glass in the swimming pool area, I cannot just pass by, because other people might get hurt. My responsibility is to inform the management about it. The last, but not the least example is if I want to get rid of some clothes, I can either throw them away or wash them and give to the charity. It does make a difference, does not it?

Overall, it is our personal choice what decisions to make and what pattern to follow. But if each of us makes one little step in changing society, we will make our planet a better place.