Many countries apply to be the host of an international sporting competition such as the Olympics but only one is ever chosen What benefits for a country hosting an international sports competition Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages

Many countries apply to be the host of an international sporting competition, such as the Olympics, but only one is ever chosen.

What benefits for a country hosting an international sports competition?

Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

Each sport venue, such as Olympic games or Winter games, usually take part in a different country from the previous one. The growing interest of governments in hosting those events, despite the huge resources needed, is due to the increasing visibility that a city might obtain.

It is obvious that huge sport events increase a country’s economy. Indeed, tourists coming for the event are travelling, generally, to relax and to assist a specific competition. For thus, they are at the same time, more willing to buy merchandise of their favourite team or athlete, and to consume more meal out. Consequently, not only local shops boost their sales, but also bars, restaurants and hostels gain more clients.

Likewise, building societies need to realise more projects and hire a high number of people, enhancing job opportunities for many workers, such as painters, plumbers, electricians and construction workers.

On the other hand, together with greater job opportunities and the chance for local companies to increase their sales, hosting and organising for big sport venues brings also several risks. For example, building a stadium requires great organisation in order to optimise the available space and minimize the waste of both money and time. In other words, it is important that governments regularly check that building companies respects the given deadlines and the previously accorded business plan.

Despite the possible risks brought by hosting international sport events, history testifies how, generally, the advantages are more than the disadvantages. In fact, such venues not only allow countries to increase their internal trades for a short period, but they also bring them a great visibility and give a chance to slightly renew a city’s architecture.

Each sport venue, such as Olympic games or Winter games, usually take part in a different country
Each sport venue... takes part in a different country

despite the huge resources needed
Description: check books how to use 'despite'

not only local shops boost their sales, but also bars, restaurants and hostels gain more clients.
Description: 'Not only...but also' is not used properly. can you re-write this sentence?

building companies respects the given deadline
building companies respect the given deadline

such venues not only allow countries to increase their internal trades for a short period, but they also bring them a great visibility

Don't use 'not only...but also...' a lot of times in one essay. One time is enough.

----------------------