The number of elderly people in the world is increasing What do you think are the positive and negative effects of this trend

The number of elderly people in the world is increasing. What do you think are the positive and negative effects of this trend?

The issue of aging the world population is widely discussed and debated in the world. Some feel it is a threatening trend, while others disagree. In my opinion, its advantages outweigh the drawbacks.

We must acknowledge that the latest advances in medicine, higher standards of living and a 70 year peaceful period in Europe increased the average expectancy in developed countries. Even though men's longevity is shorter than women's, it is often seen as a burden for society. It is clear that there is a certain disbalance between the number of young people who work and pay taxes and those who get pensions. Consequently, one worker's tax cannot support a decent living for one pensioner.

However, there are numerous positive effects of this trend. For example, grandparents can look after their grandchildren. Hence, their parents can do longer hours, earn more and pay more taxes. Another reason is involving into voluntary work. A lot of elderly people are able to benefit our community, teaching free gardening, cooking, arts or crafts classes. As a result, a greater number of youth will participate in such activities. Consequently, they will be more supervised and concentrated on useful things. Then they will be less likely to prone anti-social behaviour. Today, when the level of crimes among youngsters is dramatically high, it could be one of possible ways of ameliorating the problem. The last, but not the least aspect is moral. What kind of example would we be, if we did not show gratitude and respect to the older generation, forgetting how hard they all worked and what hardship they overtook to bring prosperity to our country?

Overall, elderly people deserve greater respect among all members of society. The government should work out a broad program of supporting old people and involving everyone into it.

a greater number of youth
a greater number of youths