it is more important to keep your old friends than it is to make new friends.

The topic of making friends can be approached from several different angles due to its complexity. Some people tend to prefer keeping their old friends, while others seem to prefer making new friends. I have also developed my own point of view as well. I favor the latter position, that is, I think it is more important to make new friends.

On the one hand, there are some advantages of making new friends. The main advantage is that it can broaden my horizon. For example, while I was in the graduate school, I met several people. Some of them even come from different countries. Because the field I choose to study is more related to the application of computer science, people often come from other background or has particular interest other than just the computer. As a result, I got a lot of knowledge from those people. There was one person named G.B., though he graduated from the same college as mine, we didn't even know each other before. He has interest in Business, thus I learned a lot of information that I didn't familiar with. For instance, he encouraged me to join the TED's club as an after-school’s class. Furthermore, he even took me to a club that is about how to have a short-term internship oversea. If I didn't meet him, I would have no idea what those things are, then I wouldn't have such special experiences in my life.

On the other hand, there are some disadvantages of making new friends. The main disadvantage is that most of the time, new friend are just simply a friend that you meet on the street and smile at each other, and after that, nothing else remains. It's not like a person you have known each other since you were a child or for quite a long time. As a consequence, New friends are easy to make, but easy to lose as well. Nevertheless, I would still prefer to make new friends other than to keep old friends. Because not only things change, people may change, too. When you enter another stage in your life, for instance, to go study abroad, you may meet people that have much similar background and knowledge as you than anyone you ever had in your life before. On the other hand, as time slowly goes by, you may notice that there is a huge gap between you and your old friend because you are no longer participating in each other’s life.

With the reasons above, I think making new friends is more important because the advantages of the second argument are qualitatively greater than the first argument. In other words, meeting new people can enrich my life. That's not to say, of course, that other points of view are completely without merit. However, I think the reasons I have provided in favor of my point of view are stronger.

you may meet people that have much similar background
you may meet people who have much similar background