Should your government place a tax on the junk food and fatty snacks

Today,the prevalance of lifestyle related diseases has increased so much one can safely call it an epidemic, to be more accurate, it has reached the proportion of a pandemic! The morbidity and mortality associated with these non-communicable diseases, that it would be foolish on the governments and the health part to ignore this giant wave of killer diseases.

As we all know these diseases are associated chiefly with a faulty unhealthy diet and a sedentary lifestyle. The intake of junk and fatty food predisposes one to life threatening diseases like diabetes, coronary artery disease, breast cancer and many others. Besides this, junk food also contains many harmful chemicals and toxic preservatives.

The prevention and control of diseases associated with the intake of junk food has a lot to do with an individual's personal choices and habits. However one cannot deny that government can do it's bit too. By placing a tax on junk and unhealthy food and thus increasing it's cost, the government can decrease the accessibility of such foods and thus encourage people to avoid them altogether.

If the price of fatty foods goes up, less and less people will buy and consume them.This will go a long way in reducing their future risk for these lifestyle associated diseases and other morbid conditions.Placing a tax is appropriate, as a strict measure like banning junk and fatty foods completely robs away peoples freedom to eat what they like.

One also cannot deny the fact that just placing a tax is not the only and complete solution to the problem of these chronic diseases. Creating awareness and helping people make healthy, correct choices is of utmost importance and must precede fiscial and legislative measures.

However, a small action like increasing the cost and thus decreasing the availability, sale and consumption of junk, unhealthy, non nutritious food can certainly be extremely helpful in curbing the chronic disease pandemic.After all the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step!

Sentence: Today,the prevalance of lifestyle related diseases has increased so much one can safely call it an epidemic, to be more accurate, it has reached the proportion of a pandemic
Error: prevalance Suggestion: prevalence

Sentence: Creating awareness and helping people make healthy, correct choices is of utmost importance and must precede fiscial and legislative measures.
Error: fiscial Suggestion: fiscal