TOPIC # 38 learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present. Do you agree or disagree?

How we are today is the result of our past actions and decisions, and it is kind of our identity. So it makes no sense to completely forget about the past. I am positive that learning about both our own past days and history are rewarding. I feel this way because our past lights up our future path, the history informs us about our country, and it revives the fading traditions and customs.

First, according to George Santayana “those who not remember the past are condemned to repeat it”. More or less, we all believe in this quote as in every sensitive and important situation, we either unconsciously or deliberately, recall our previous experiences, and review them. Or we even ask others for their similar experiences so as not repeat our or others’ previous mistakes, and to make the best decision out of them. Even children learn from their past. For example a child who has a bitter memory of hot iron, he understands that it burns so he will not approach it anymore.

Second, the history is a written narration of true stories from our country and our ancestors. Relating the wars, natural disasters, epidemics, and other troubles that our people were facing during different eras. It describes the ancient cruel monarchs ruling our country and the heroes opposing them. We also come to know that how extensive our lands were in the past and how they was separated by intruders. For instance, by studying the history I get to know that Iran was a few times bigger than what it is now prior to the Qajar domination.

Third, being aware of history helps to preserve our traditions and culture which most of them are now going to be forgotten forever. These are peculiar costumes that differentiate nationalities from each other and make the world an interesting place to live. Without them we are all the same. So it is better to learn about history even for the sake of our own culture and conventions.

As a whole, I believe it is quite necessary for us to learn from the past and about the past. It will bring many goods for us. This is because it warns us not to repeat mistakes, it informs us about the history of our nation, and it maintains our traditions.

Dear E-rater
I really appreciate your help.

I got this idea that the topic by saying "learning about the past" means "learning about the history".
But, after I read some samples, I saw other people have mentioned both "our own past" and "the history".
which one is true?

And, I noticed some evaluations do not contain any comment, may I ask what is the reason?
Is there any kind of special limit for rating essays?

Thanks so much

"learning about the past" is not equal to "learning about the history". history is relatively a long time. while past maybe is for past two hours.

If users have different ideas for the evaluations, they will put comments. But most of the time, they accept and no comments.

If the essay topic is 'learning about the history has no value for those of us living in the present', the essay will be OK!