4-Day Workweek The popular 5-day workweek has long been a staple in U.S. business. With employees working 8 hours a day for a total of 40 hours a week, it has been seen as a model of efficiency. However, some companies and government agencies have begun c

4-Day Workweek

The popular 5-day workweek has long been a staple in U.S. business. With employees working 8 hours a day for a total of 40 hours a week, it has been seen as a model of efficiency. However, some companies and government agencies have begun converting to a 10-hour-a-day, 4-day workweek. This conversion offers numerous benefits to both businesses and employees and should be seriously considered.

First, a 4-day workweek will alleviate some considerable expenses for the average employee. A recent national survey found that 34% of prospective employees turned down job offers because of long commutes to work. With the high cost of gas and vehicle maintenance, eliminating one day’s driving per week will reduce expenses by quite a bit, making the idea of working far from home more appealing and giving employees the opportunity to use the money saved to cover other, more pressing costs.

Second, reducing the number of working days will lower the operating costs of most businesses; employers won’t need to keep their business open an extra day. This will result in less money spent on fixed expenses, such as lighting and air conditioning, helping to improve a company’s profitability. By eliminating one business day, companies will not only save significantly on operating expenses but also have the additional benefit of a more efficient workforce continually energized with a 3-day weekend.

Third, a 4-day workweek will improve the ability of employees to spend time with their families. Work is often cited as the major reason why parents don’t spend time with their children and one reason why some stop working. With a reduced workweek, they will spend an extra day with their children and other loved ones, helping to improve their overall quality of life and thus sending them back to work happier.

In this set of material both the reading and listening passages discuss reducing 5-Day workweek to 4-day. The author proposed three explanations. However the speaker hold these arguments questionable.

First of all, the article claims that 4-day workweek would turn down 34% of gas. Nonetheless, the lecture points out that average 30 miles driving form home to work. It is about $15~$20 gas per day and only $850 per year.

Second, the writer says that would lower the operating costs of most businesses. On the other hand, the lecturer argues that is misguided. Running less one day will reduce 20% of business. Because running in late hour during 4-Day workweek, customers already went home and they will not consume in these late hours,

Third, the reading passage states that will improve the ability of employees to spend time with their families. However, the speaker contends that won’t happen. For the children who needs daycare, they will be stay longer for parent work late. And for those who old enough to be in school, they will be in school even parent have one day off.

To sum up, all the points mentioned in the reading are not plausible according to the speaker.

the lecturer argues that is misguided
the lecturer argues that it is misguided

the reading passage states that will improve the ability of employees
the reading passage states that it will improve the ability of employees

the speaker contends that won’t happen.
the speaker contends that it won’t happen.

For the children who needs daycare,
For the children who need daycare,

they will be stay longer for parent work late.
they will be staying longer for parents who work late.
they will stay longer for parents who work late.

And for those who old enough to be in school, they will be in school even parent have one day off.
And for those who are old enough to be in school, they will be in school even parents have one day off.