Research has taught us a lot about job satisfaction and the motivation of workers First workers are more motivated if their job offers a sense of community A sense of community grows when workers get recognition for their accomplishments and when they bel

Research has taught us a lot about job satisfaction and the motivation of workers. First, workers are more motivated if their job offers a sense of community. A sense of community grows when workers get recognition for their accomplishments and when they believe their skills are being well used. Social organization in the workplace is important. Supervisors and co-workers have a tremendous influence on job satisfaction. When workers are asked what they like or do not like about their job, around 80 percent will mention the people they work with.
Second, while workers value traditional economic incentives such as pay and promotions, they also have needs and expectations that go beyond economic concerns. Workers need a sense of security in the workplace. Security comes from confidence in the system that they are part of, the quality of the product or service they provide, and the reputation of the company. Security comes from the personal satisfaction o knowing that their skills are being utilized in a way that contributes to the company’s success.
Third, the most satisfying jobs are those with a high level of autonomy, in which employees can make their own decisions about the pacing and sequence of work with minimal supervision. Job autonomy is most often found in high-pay and high-prestige occupations. In jobs in the middle or lower levels of pay and prestige, workers generally have less autonomy. The lower the occupational status, the more heavily supervised the workers are, and the fewer decisions they can make on their own.

Essay topics in audio

In the set of materials, both the reading and the lecture speak about job satisfaction and the motivation of workers. The professor states that small workgroups are the reason for the success of companies and supports the author’s three main points one by one.

Firstly, the reading claims that when the workers have a sense of community, they are highly motivated. In the same way, the professor says that workgroups are usually made from 3 to 15 persons, in which people communicate with each other, speaks about their social or emotional needs, and evaluate quality of milieu. This is an important basis of a successful company.

Secondly, the reading posits that workers need a sense of security in the workplace. Likewise, the professor explains that in workgroups, individuals work as a team, in which anyone cares about the business, care about other’s career, matter the success of the group. By feeling a sense of ownership and accomplishment, workers feel they are a part of team, and then are satisfied and motivated.

Finally, the reading asserts that a high level of autonomy is a vital element in the most satisfying jobs. Accordingly, in the lecture, the professor indicates that workers want to have a sense of autonomy by having their own voice, participate in making decisions, setting the goals of the company, and evaluating the results. When they have their own voice, they feel pride working in a company, which they are a significant part of it and can make their own decision about tasks with minimal supervision.

in which people communicate with each other, speaks about their social or emotional needs
in which people communicate with each other, speak about their social or emotional needs