TOEFL Sample essay : integrated essay from TPO 14

In this set of material the reading passage states that salvage logging after natural disasters in the forests is beneficial for the economy and the forest itself. Then, brings up three reasons to support the idea. However, the lecturer declares that although salvage logging may appear to be effective, it will cause longer term environmental damages and provides some evidence to refute them all.

First of all, the author of the passage claims that the decomposition of the dead trees will take a long time and no space is left to grow new trees in that area. Salvage logging, however, helps to recover the trees. In contrast, the lecturer asserts that cleaning up the dead trees will not necessarily make right conditions to grow new trees since natural process of decaying the trees enriches the soil. Therefore, picking the rotting trees will cause the soil lack necessary nutrients required for the plant growth.

Furthermore, it is mentioned in the article that decaying wood is a suitable habitat for harmful insects for the forest such as some kind of beetles. On the contrary, the speaker expresses that the aforementioned insects have been living in the forest for more than hundreds of years in the forest without damage. Additionally, removing the dead trees, which are used by helpful birds and insects for long term health of the forests besides the spruce bark beetle, will harm the forest in a longer time.

Finally, the reading passage mentions that salvage logging is economically lucrative. Conversely, the lecturer explains that the severely damaged trees and lumber are carried by some vehicles that are expensive to use and maintain and are not cost effective. In addition, jobs created by salvage logging are temporary and the experienced workers are often hired rather than the local people. Hence, the economic effect of salvage logging does not last very long and are small.

Then, brings up three reasons to support the idea
Description: what is the subject for this sentence? can you re-write this sentence?

which are used by helpful birds and insects for long term health of the forests
which are used by helpful birds and insects for a long-term health of the forests

Write the essay in 20 minutes.