TPO 50

TPO 50

The reading and the lecture are both about a mission to Mars. The author states that the mission will be confronted by some problems/issues and provides three reasons for support. However, the lecturer refutes each of the author's reasons,

First of all, the passage points out that space vehicles do not have enough place to store supplies of food for two years or more. In contrast, the lecturer opposes this point by saying that astronauts can use a technique that is called hydro panic to solve the problem. The technique is to cultivate plants in water instead of soil. In that way, plants will need less space, as well as wastewater, which can be recycled by them that leads to produce drinkable/fresh/drinking water. Besides, those plants absorb carbon dioxide and emit oxygen, so provide fresh air.

Secondly, the passage posits that astronauts' health will be affected by the zero-gravity environment of space. While the lecturer disagrees with this point by mentioning that astronauts are able to avoid that situation by doing some techniques such as regular exercise or using vitamins and minerals. Therefore, astronauts can reduce/lessen the effect of zero-gravity on their bones and muscles.

Finally, the passage asserts that astronauts will face dangerous levels of space radiation, and also attaching a shield to the space vehicles for protection will impose/put extra weight to it. On the contrary, the lecturer disputes this point by explaining that dangerous levels of solar radiation happen occasionally. Moreover, astronauts apply devices that monitor radiation and a small shield in order to protect themselves.