TPO.29

TPO.29

The article states about some doubts towards using burning mirror by Greeks when they confront Roman navy at a little over 2,200 years ago. The article provides three reasons to support this doubt. However, the professor in the lecture casts serious doubt on the passage by using a number of points that are contrary to each of the author's reasons.

First of all, the reading claims that using burning mirror was impossible due to the fact that Greeks were not technologically advanced enough to use materials like this. In contrast, the professor refutes this point by saying that it is not convincing because it was not just a single shield to flame the mirrors. He mentions that Greeks use small mirror pieces.

On another hand, the article posits that based on one experience, burning mirror was impractical because it takes a long time to set the ships on fire. However, the teacher describes that maybe they had used other materials. According to the teacher, there are other stuffs like Pitch that it can set fire by second. In fact even ships were waterproof, burning mirror was an effective weapon.

Finally, the reading makes it clear that burning mirror was not an improvement in weapons and Roman army was familiar with those common weapons like flaming arrows. Conversely, the lecturer opposes this point by explaining that it is true that Romans were familiar with this weapon but you can just see mirror. We also find that burning mirror was much more surprising than flaming arrows.

Need to get more details. read a sample:
http://www.testbig.com/integrated-toefl-writing-essays/burning-mirror