News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. Note-taking Exercises. Listen to the news just once and then try to fill in the following blanks.
(1) Cal Thomas works as a
. He is a
for
.
(2) He thinks that the House Democrats are
(doing a favor for/having an enmity against) Soviet leader Gorbachev.
(3) Jim Wright is the
.
(4) Other members of Congress believe Jim Wright's behavior on the eve of a summit meeting is
(suitable/unsuitable) .
(5) Daniel Ortega is Nicaragua's
.
(6) Jim Wright sent a
to Ortega in
.
(7) Jim Wright believes a deal with the Soviets will result in
.
(8) Cal Thomas thinks the restraints imposed upon President Reagan by House Democrats will lead to:
  a. Jim Wright is trying to
before the summit;
  b. Gorbachev will try to
as well.

2. Summary. With the help of the above sentences, summarize this news commentary in no more than one hundred words.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
Although Cal Thomas is only Speaker of the House, he acted as if he were the President.
(2)
Cal Thomas thinks that what Jim Wright has done is what a major Democratic leader should do.
(3)
Gorbachev has a total control over the Politburo and is supported by the other members in the Politburo.
(4)
In a 1984 "Dear Commandant" letter to Daniel Ortega, Jim Wright denounced and felt sorry for US foreign policies.
(5)
According to Cal Thomas, the Soviet Union is eager to reduce its arms.
(6)
Before the Vietnam War, the President's decisions always prevailed over those of the Congress.
(7)
Cal Thomas thinks that the US cannot afford to make mistakes in dealing with the Soviets.

4. Focusing on Details. Fill in the detailed information according to what you have heard.
(1) Wright has offered President Reagan
. He says he and House Democrats
with the White House over
until next year if the President will
for future consideration of
and other House arms control
. These would include
in the
, which the Soviets have
.
(2) The history of this country
was that the President of the United States
. The Congress
, but in the end it was
if differences arose. Now it is
that is making foreign policy: on
, on
, and, on
, with our chief adversary, the Soviet Union.

Listening answers

News in Detail

(1) Cal Thomas works as a
. He is a
for
.
(3) Jim Wright is the
.
(suitable/unsuitable) .
(5) Daniel Ortega is Nicaragua's
.
(6) Jim Wright sent a
to Ortega in
.
.
  a. Jim Wright is trying to
before the summit;
  b. Gorbachev will try to
as well.

Suggested summary: Commentator Cal Thomas believes that House majority leader Jim Wright is doing Gorbachev a favor when he tries to tie President Reagan's hands before he goes to the summit. The constraints Wright has imposed on the President will certainly reduce Reagan's negotiating power at the summit. The House Democrats are making dangerous mistakes in dealing with the Soviets.

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)

(1) Wright has offered President Reagan
. He says he and House Democrats
with the White House over
until next year if the President will
for future consideration of
and other House arms control
. These would include
in the
, which the Soviets have
.
(2) The history of this country
. The Congress
, but in the end it was
if differences arose. Now it is
that is making foreign policy: on
, on
, and, on