Is competition good?

Is competition good?

Generally speaking, I think not only is competition good but also it is necessary to advance in your career, education, etc. But one important point is that we should be able to discriminate between competition and jealousy which is really harmful for the person’s mental health.

At first, I want to speak about competition and specify its boundaries. Competition means making yourself better in comparison to another one that is better than you in a specific aspect of life. So as you see competition is just trying to reach to the summit earlier than another one. It is somehow good because this way, you try to adjust your paces with another one’s and make yourself faster without slowing down that person. So competition will make you more successful and you will always keep in mind that your current position is not the end and there are higher positions to reach to.

On the other hand we have jealousy. When you are jealous of another person, you will try to make yourself better but meanwhile you will focus on hindering that person from trying more and inadvertently most of your concentration will be the other person not yourself. You take every scheme to reach to the goal of defeating that person but because he is attempting with his own pace without paying attention to anyone else, you get stymied and it makes you nervous, impeding you from trying to reach to your own goals.

So in my opinion competition is good as much as it doesn’t turn to jealousy. It will make you compare yourself with your peers and try to be better than them. So especially for people who have a lot of diligence, competition would be a good way to get familiar with higher summits and try to reach to them.