TOEFL® iBT Study Tips

TOEFL® iBT Study Tips

Step 1: View the TOEFL® iBT test

Visit the TOEFL® Web site at www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/samplequestions.html and then download TOEFL® iBT Tips www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/downloads.html

Make sure you become familiar with the Speaking and Writing Scoring Guides located in the back of the TOEFL® iBT Tips document so you know how your responses will be evaluated.

Step 2: Take a practice test

Go to TOEFL® Practice Online at www.ets.org/toeflpractice71.html

TOEFL® Practice Online offers test materials from ETS and provides you with actual TOEFL® iBT testing experience, covering all four skills including Speaking. Take a practice test to preview your performance level. You will get instant scores and feedback on the Reading, Listening, and Writing sections; and Speaking scores by certified ETS raters within five business days. Your membership to TOEFL Practice Online is free. Sign up at www.ets.org/toeflpractice71.html.

Step 3: Practice more on your weaker skills

Follow the skill-specific suggestions in TOEFL iBT Tips and use the targeted practice on TOEFL Practice Online to focus on the skills you need to improve most and monitor your progress. You can also take a complete practice test to confirm you are ready for test day. Supplement your practice with The Official Guide to the New TOEFL® iBT from ETS and McGraw-Hill, which is available at www.ets.org/toeflguide24.html.

Step 4: Use good test-taking strategies on test day

Carefully follow directions in each section to avoid wasting time. Click ³Help² to review directions only when absolutely necessary because the clock will not stop while the Help function is being used.

Do not become overwhelmed or panic. Just concentrate fully on the current test question and not on other questions you may have answered. This is a good test-taking strategy that can be learned through practice.

Avoid spending too much time on any one test question. If you have given the question some thought and you still don¹t know the answer, eliminate as many choices as possible and then select the best choice. Remember to pace yourself so you have enough time to answer every question. Be aware of the time limit for each section and budget your time accordingly so you do not have to rush at the end of the test.