Why do people go to university/college?

Why do people go to university/college?

No one can ever deny the significance of higher education as one of the most important indexes of development in every human society. Over the past few decades, there has been a growing interest among young people to go to university and receive academic education, something which applies to both developing and developed countries. This trend can be attributed to some social and personal factors.

To begin with, gaining knowledge is one of the most important needs of humankind, so people go to university in response to this mental need. When young people attend university, they can choose the major they like based on their abilities and talents. As a result, they have the opportunity to improve their knowledge and gain a very deep insight in a specific field of study. This comeswith the help of the experience and knowledge of professors, because without this a person can never come to a conclusive result in his/her studies and projects.

Furthermore, as people become experts in their fields of study, they become capable of finding jobs more efficiently in the future. To illustrate this, consider a person who wants to become a manager in a factory. He cannot manage human resources unless he has enough knowledge about psychological concepts in management. Also he should be trained to be able to handle the obstacles that he is expected to encounter as a manager.

Finally, in many societies, going to university is a life experience of great value and it is very important for the people who live there. This has a leading role for youth, as it will dictate their futures and social statuses. As a consequence, they go to university in order to attain more respect from their society now and in their future careers. Furthermore, this guarantees more opportunities in other parts of the world, as the recognition of their successes in their own societies would open doors to even greater opportunities globally.