Motivation letter

Motivation letter

To: Netherlands Embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam
Netherlands Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Inholland University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am Nguyễn Yến Hân, a 12th grader at High School for the Gifted – Vietnam National University in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

I was born and brought up in a nuclear family that consists of my parents and a sister who is 9 years younger than me. Both my parents work in tourism: My father is a French and Spanish speaking tour guide, while my mother works as a Contracting Manager at EXO World Travel – one of the longest established and leading Travel Agencies in Vietnam.
During basic education, I have been a excellent student for 11 years successively (the senior year has not finished yet) and have acquired other small achievements. A full scholarship for attending the International German Camp in Bangkok, for instance, is one of my biggest accomplishments at high school.

Speaking of my daily life, apart from learning at school, I enjoy socializing with groups of people, especially hanging out and chatting with my friends. I rarely pass up any opportunities to expand my friend circle regardless if they are acquaintances or strangers, owing to the fact that fellowship plays a very important role in my life besides family. It is necessary for each student to balance between academic and social life, so I try to attend different indoor and outdoor activities in my free time, such as reading books, playing piano as well as joining social work organizations. Although the number of times I work as a volunteer is not much, I am always devoted for all projects run and make great attempt to contribute to their success. Additionally, I find myself a good team-worker when cooperating with friends from many places who have various characteristics, as I prefer opening to different ideas to being too arbitrary.

My teachers always notes that I am excellent at such subjects as Languages and Literature, which are also my favorite subjects at school. Particularly, my English teachers and their German counterparts say that I have good ability to perceive and comprehend languages. On the other hand, it seems that not only Vietnamese but also world’s written works hold great appeal for me, which is probably the reason why I usually get good results in literature exams. Indeed, those two subjects have increased my interest in social sciences and thus I want to connect my career with social fields.

At the child age, I was crazy about daily commercials on TV with colorful pictures and lively sound effects. A little interest in advertising, in the way people create such fantastic videos has arisen in my mind since then, yet taking part in a live-music event at the age of fifteen prods this field to be considered in the center of my professional attention. All at once, my dream of becoming an event organizer started, and obviously the field of media and communication is the key to it.

It cannot be denied that these days, the tendency of globalization has noticeably developed, besides, we are getting closer and closer to each other due to the need of social ties in modern life. Therefore, strengthening the interaction with people around us is undeniably important. Communication is at the core of this, showing us how to acquire a broader understanding through the world around and how to pay contribution to its development in the future. From my point of view, media and communication is fundamental on so many levels – such as personal relationships, information exchange... – that it invariably accompanies with every single change worldwide. The creative industry is a growing industry and that means employment for graduates, which is the precondition for study choice.

After a long-term study in Vietnam, I expect new experience in a different country for many aspects: culture, education, and new pace of life as well. Having a maternal grand-uncle who is a businessman living in the Netherlands, I decide on this country as a destination after graduating from high school. Universities in the Netherlands are almost well-rated with not only reasonable tuition fees but also great support for international students. The first acquaintance with Inholland University began from my collecting particular information about it. Although it is not a top-ranked one compared to other universities nationally, however, I am deeply impressed by the mix of approximately 100 nationalities and cultures in international programs besides the outstanding number of locations in 10 different cities. Furthermore, students are offered a wide range of facilities, such as opportunities for internships around the world and one orientation year which allows graduated students to seek employment in the Netherlands.

I believe my personality aforesaid is suitable for the Media and Entertainment Management program, besides, Inholland University will create best conditions for me to have a firm basis of knowledge and practical skills. If I were accepted by the Admission Committee, one of my intentions would be finding a part-time job in order that I can become more financially independent from my parents. In addition, it is important that I make great effort to achieve good results at school and learn Dutch as a third language. Therefore, it is more possible for me to befriend foreigners easily during the time at university and learn how to adapt myself to the new study environment. After graduate, I would return to Vietnam and apply for a suitable job related to the field of media and communication, and of course it is totally ideal if I am chosen for a position as an event organizer. Until I have a stable job, I am going to give financial support to my younger sister's study, whether she desires to go abroad just like I used to or not.

Thank you for your consideration,
Yours sincerely,
Nguyễn Yến Hân

During basic education, I have been a excellent student
During the basic education, I have been an excellent student