Cyprus' Rival Leaders Agree to Start Historic Reunification Talks

25 July 2008

Greek- and Turkish-Cypriot leaders meeting in Nicosia have agreed toresume reunification talks in September to try and end the 34-yeardivision of the Mediterranean island. The U.N. Chief of Mission inCyprus, Taye-Brook Zerihoun, made the announcement that a breakthroughhad been made after hosting a meeting between the Greek CypriotPresident Demetris Christofias and Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet AliTalat. For VOA, Nathan Morley reports from Nicosia.

This was thetwo leaders' fourth meeting, during which they undertook a final reviewof technical committees and working groups, which will lay thegroundwork for negotiations.

Once the upcoming negotiations are complete, Turkish and Greek Cypriots will hold separate votes on the final settlement.

U.N. spokesman Jose Diaz told VOA that Friday's events are a very positive sign for the future of Cyprus.

"WellI think today's meeting went quite smoothly, we had a very goodstatement coming out of the meeting, in addition to the agreement tostart negotiations on the 3rd September, they also announced a seriesof measures that are aimed at making life easier for people on bothsides of the divide," he said.

Considering that almost allcontact between the two communities ended in 2004, events since theelection of Demitris Christofias in February this year have moved at afast pace.

The chemistry between Mr. Christofias and Mr. Talatis said to be "good" and the two men are seen by many in theinternational community as the only hope for finding a peace settlementin the Cyprus dispute, which has been ongoing since 1974.

"Theyhave a very good relationship, which is obvious when you see theminteracting and discussing, so I think that's a very important part ofthe progress that has been made so far and hopefully will continue tobe made," said U.N. spokesman Jose Diaz.

To add some impetus tothe process, the former Australian foreign minister Alexander Downerrecently accepted the post as the U.N. special envoy in Cyprus and willarrive on the island next week.

With his background in complex negotiations he could hold the key to future success in Cyprus.

Cyprus split in 1974 when Turkey invaded after an Athens-backed coup.

Thebreakaway Turkish Cypriot north is only recognized by Turkey.Reunification talks have been deadlocked since 2004, when GreekCypriots rejected a U.N. reunification plan in a referendum. TurkishCypriots accepted it.