Opposition Leader Tsvangirai Calls for Expanded African Involvement in Zimbabwe

25 June 2008

Zimbabwe's opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai has called for greaterAfrican involvement in Zimbabwe's crises. And as VOA's Delia Robertsonreports from our southern Africa bureau in Johannesburg, the Movementfor Democratic Change leader added his voice to growing calls for atransitional authority in his country.

Morgan Tsvangirai brieflyemerged from his refuge at the Dutch Embassy and told reporters inHarare that the crisis in Zimbabwe demands greater African involvement,supported by armed peacekeepers.

"I am asking the African Unionand SADC to lead an expanded initiative supported by the United Nationsto manage what I will call a transitional process," Tsvangiraiexplained. "We are proposing that the AU facilitation teamcomprising eminent Africans set up a transitional period which takesinto account will of the people of Zimbabwean as exercised on the 29thof March."

Tsvangirai listed four requirements for a transitional program, but top of his list was an end to state-sponsored violence.

"Theviolence must stop," he said. "All structures and infrastructures ofviolence must be withdrawn and disbanded . . . towards this objective,amongst other things war veterans, youth militia and others encamped onthe edges of our cities, in towns and villages need to be sent home andbe reintegrated into out society.  Unofficial roadblocks along theroads and highways must be disbanded. These camps and roadblocks arethe checkpoints of violence."

President Robert Mugabe continuesto insist the presidential runoff poll will be held Friday as planned,even though Mr. Tsvangirai has withdrawn from the race.  Tsvangiraisaid he remains convinced his decision to withdraw was the rightdecision, and he again said he believes the election will be anillegitimate sham. He said his decision has received widespreadsupport from within the region, the continent and the broadinternational community.

Tsvangirai also repeated his beliefthat a transitional period and dialogue are the only way forward forZimbabwe in the current climate.

"The transitional period wouldallow the country to heal," Tsvangirai said. "Genuine and honestdialogue among Zimbabweans is the only way forward. A negotiatedpolitical settlement which allows the country to begin a nationalhealing and the process: a, of economic reconstruction; b, provision ofhumanitarian assistance; and c, democratization would be in the bestinterests of this country."

But he warned there could be notalks while the party's number two, Tendai Biti and some "2,000"political prisoners remain behind bars.