Thailand Releases Drawing of Bombing Suspect

19 August, 2015

Thai officials have issued an arrest warrant for a foreign man wanted in the bombing that killed at least 22 people Monday at a shrine in Bangkok.

Thailand's national police chief said Wednesday the suspected bomber was likely acting as part of a network. But, investigators have not yet been able to identify his motives or nationality.

Officials released a drawing of the suspect. He is a young man with black hair and round glasses. Authorities in Thailand are offering a $28,000 reward for information leading to the suspect.

Video from a security camera shows a young man with a yellow shirt leave a bag under a bench and walk away just before the blast.

A police spokesman said two other men in the video, one wearing red and another wearing white, are also suspects in the attacks.

IS militants kill former director of antiquities in Palmyra

Islamic State militants in Syria have beheaded the former director of antiquities in Palmyra. The city is famous worldwide for its archeological treasures. The Islamic extremists seized Palmyra three months ago.

Palmyra's current director of antiquities said the 82-year-old former director, Khaled Asaad, was killed on Tuesday. He had worked for 50 years preserving the city's 2,000-year-old ruins, which are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Mr. Asaad was killed in a public square in Palmyra in front of many people.

Germany approves latest Greek bailout

German lawmakers have approved a $95 billion bailout deal for Greece. The decision will help Greece meet Thursday's deadline to repay international creditors.

Germany is the largest single contributor to Greece's economic bailout. Lawmakers in the country had to approve the deal before it could proceed.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel's finance minister, Wolfgang Schnaeuble, told lawmakers earlier that it would be "irresponsible" not to approve the bailout, for the good of Greece and for the European Union.

_______________________________________________________________

Words in the News

warrant - n. a document issued by a court that gives the police the power to do something

antiquities - n. ancient time

bailout - n. the act of saving or rescuing something (such as a business) from money problems