US Ambassador Says More Talks Possible With Iran on Iraq

29 June 2008

U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker says the door is open to further discussions with Iran on the situation in Iraq. VOA's Paula Wolfson has details from Washington.

The reporter behind the magazine article, Seymour Hersh, told CNN he was not surprised by the ambassador's comments.  He said diplomats may know little about the scope of the program, which he said was approved by the U.S. Congress at the request of the president.

"I think this is another example of putting an awful lot of pressure on the Iranian government," said Seymour Hersh.

Meanwhile, there has been no official response from the Bush administration to the release of a new study by U.S. Army historians on mistakes made during the early phases of the Iraq war.

The lengthy report cites a lack of planning and vision by American military and civilian leaders in the period from May 2003 to January 2005. It concludes they were too focused on toppling Saddam Hussein, and did not look ahead to what might happen in Iraq in the days that followed.