US National Security Adviser Hadley Visits Turkey

17 July 2008

U.S. National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley is meeting Thursday withTurkish officials to reportedly discuss the standoff over Iran'sdisputed nuclear program. Hadley's visit to Turkey comes two daysbefore talks in Geneva in which a senior U.S. diplomat will for thefirst time join colleagues from other world powers at a meeting withIran's chief nuclear negotiator. For VOA, Dorian Jones reports fromIstanbul.

U.S. National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley isholding talks Thursday with Turkish President Abdullah Gul, PrimeMinister Tayyip Erdogan and Foreign Minister Ali Babacan on so-calledroutine consultations on regional issues. But, they reportedly are alsodiscussing Iran's nuclear program.

Stressing the relationshipbetween the United States and Turkey, Hadley said the two countries areunited in fighting terrorism, including against Kurdish rebels whostage attacks on Turkey from bases in northern Iraq.

"TheUnited States appreciates very much its strong strategic partnershipwith its close friend and strong ally Turkey, as we deal with thechallenges of the 21st century," he said.

Though Hadley did notcomment on any discussion over Iran's nuclear program, Foreign MinisterAli Babacan said at a news conference that the issue of Iran did comeup and that it would be "handled through dialogue."

In an interview Wednesday, Babacan spoke about Turkey's role in the diffusing tensions over Iran's nuclear program.

"Wehave good relations with both Iran and the U.S.," he said. "We respectIran's right to civil nuclear power, but we also share regionalconcerns about the situation. We are in touch with all partiesinvolved. They tell us that we should also be in the picture."

Babacansaid Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki would visit Ankara fortalks Friday and the nuclear program would be on their agenda.

TopU.S. Diplomat William Burns will attend talks with Iranian envoy SaeedJalili in Switzerland on Saturday aimed at persuading Iran to haltactivities that could lead to the development of atomic weapons.

Turkey believes Iran has the right to develop a peaceful nuclear energy program, but calls on Tehran to be transparent.

TheUnited States and Israel have not ruled out a military strike on Iranif it does not give up uranium enrichment and heed Security Councildemands aimed at dispelling fears that Tehran wants to make nuclearweapons. Iran claims its nuclear program is only aimed at generatingelectricity.

International relations expert Soli Ozel says Turkey has a vested interest in resolving the current tensions.

"Ankarais very concerned about Iran going nuclear , but Ankara is also veryconcerned about Iran being attacked by the U.S. I guess you would agreewe could ill afford to have another war in our neighborhood," he said.

PrimeMinister Erdogan said last week that Ankara might be asked to play arole in the Iran nuclear row similar to the role it is playing inSyria-Israel peace efforts. Ankara is currently mediating indirecttalks between Tel Aviv and Damascus.

Ankara is also reported tohave played an important role in defusing recent tensions in Lebanonover the election of its president.

The current Islamic rootedAK party -- unlike many of its predecessors -- has made it a priorityto improve relations with Middle Eastern countries. According toexperts, that policy is making Ankara an increasingly importantdiplomatic player in the volatile Middle East.