The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this time period, most of the comp

The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.

"Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this time period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have just canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to the program and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should restore the time devoted to weather and local news to its former level."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The argument with conclusion that the station should restore the time devoted to weather and local news is raher weak. It is based on the premises that most of the complaints recieved were related to coverage of weather and local news during the periods of change of program, and that local businesses have just canceled the advertising contracts with the station. However, it is logically flawed. There are many missed evidences needed to be mentioned, as explained in the following paragraphs.

First, the evidence that the total number of viewing is declining has to be included. There is just one claimation implying the evidence, no any other proofs. It is likely to be true, regarding the increase of complaints about the containment of the program. On the other hand, there are also some chances that the number of audience is increasing since people nowadays tends to care about the national news, though the complaints from old viewer increasing for the change of their viewing habit. This could result in the increasing in the revenues, contradicting to the prediction of the manager.

Furthermore, the evidence that there are no other potential business that will fill in the advertsing time which is vacant for the repealing of the local advertising mentioned in the paragraphs should be verified. If the fact is true, then the manager should really contemplate about their situation and struggle for an answer just like the one in the memorandum. On the contrary, there are still opportunities that some businesses, say some international companies, have interest in the advertisement contract, since the change of program. The conclusion will be in vain.

Moreover, the evidence that the total revenus is droping is needed to be sertified. There are implication that the income is likely to decrease, while no explicit statement. It could just be the well-known truth, making the manager refuse to mention it. On the contrary, maybe the manager simply hide something such as the increase in the income, number of viewer, and applaud from the residences so as to cheat every body in the television station to let the weather and local news come bake. It may be absurd. However, it may be true if the manager keep the attitude of no comment.

The argument is rather weak, even though, with the demonstration of the above three evidences, it will be greatly reinforced. Since there are no further fortification, it is hard to accept it as truth. The directors should not adopt this recommendation without more justification.

Sentence: However, it may be true if the manager keep the attitude of no comment.
Description: The fragment manager keep the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace keep with verb, past tense

Sentence: The argument with conclusion that the station should restore the time devoted to weather and local news is raher weak.
Error: raher Suggestion: rather

Sentence: Furthermore, the evidence that there are no other potential business that will fill in the advertsing time which is vacant for the repealing of the local advertising mentioned in the paragraphs should be verified.
Error: advertsing Suggestion: advertising

Sentence: Moreover, the evidence that the total revenus is droping is needed to be sertified.
Error: sertified Suggestion: certified
Error: droping Suggestion: No alternate word
Error: revenus Suggestion: revenue