The following appeared in an editorial in a Prunty County newspaper. "In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County recently lowered its speed limit from 55 miles per hour to 45 on all major county roads. But the 55 mph limit should be restored,

The following appeared in an editorial in a Prunty County newspaper.

"In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County recently lowered its speed limit from 55 miles per hour to 45 on all major county roads. But the 55 mph limit should be restored, because this safety effort has failed. Most drivers are exceeding the new speed limit and the accident rate throughout Prunty County has decreased only slightly. If we want to improve the safety of our roads, we should instead undertake the same kind of road improvement project that Butler County completed five years ago: increasing lane widths and resurfacing rough roads. Today, major Butler County roads still have a 55 mph speed limit, yet there were 25 percent fewer reported accidents in Butler County this past year than there were five years ago." - GRE Argument 16

This editorial argues that a recent reduction in Prunty County's speed limit on its major roads, from 55 to 45 miles per hour (mph), has proven ineffective, and that the county should therefore restore its 55-mph speed limit and improve its roads. To support this argument the editorial's author points out that the accident rate has decreased only "slightly" since the speed limit was reduced. The author also points out that in nearby Butler County, which has maintained a 55-mph limit while widening and resurfacing its roads, the accident rate has decreased by 25% over the last 5 years. The e...