You are hereIELTS | Test Takers - Speaking sample - part 1

IELTS | Test Takers - Speaking sample - part 1

speak_loudly's picture

By speak_loudly - Posted on 19 February 2012

Speaking topic in text: 

In the Speaking test, you have a discussion with a certified Examiner. It is interactive and as close to a real-life situation as a test can get.

The test is 11 to 14 minutes long with three parts. In Part 1, you answer questions about yourself and your family. In Part 2, you speak about a topic. In Part 3, you have a longer discussion on the topic.

There are three parts to the test and each part fulfils a specific function in terms of interaction pattern, task input and candidate output.

The Speaking test is the same for both Academic and General Training tests.

Speaking sample task – Part 1
Part 1 Introduction and interview
[This part of the test begins with the examiner introducing himself or herself and
checking the candidate’s identification. It then continues as an interview.]
Let’s talk about your home town or village.
• What kind of place is it?
• What’s the most interesting part of your town/village?
• What kind of jobs do the people in your town/village do?
• Would you say it’s a good place to live? (Why?)
Let’s move on to talk about accommodation.
• Tell me about the kind of accommodation you live in?
• How long have you lived there?
• What do you like about living there?
• What sort of accommodation would you most like to live in?

Speaking sample task – Part 1 transcript
Part 1 Introduction and interview
Transcript
Examiner: Now, in this first part, I’d like to ask you some more questions about yourself, OK?
Let’s talk about your home town or village. What kind of place is it?
Candidate: It’s quite a small village, about 20km from Zurich. And it’s very quiet. And we have only little ... two little shops because most of the people work in Zurich or are orientated to the city.
Examiner: What’s the most interesting part of this place ... village?
Candidate: On the top of a hill we have a little castle which is very old and quite well known in Switzerland.
Examiner: What kind of jobs do people in the village do?
Candidate: We have some farmers in the village as well as people who work in Zurich as bankers or journalists or there are also teachers and some doctors, some medicines.
Examiner: Would you say it’s a good place to live?
Candidate: Yes. Although it is very quiet, it is … people are friendly and I would say it is a good place to live there, yes.
Examiner: Let’s move on to talk about accommodation. Tell me about the kind of accommodation you live in ...

Speaking recording: 
Your rating: None Average: 6.6 (16 votes)
More speakings by this user:

describe a festival that is important in your country renofitriasari
Describe a historical building you have visited.You should say,Where the building is located.What it looks like.What it is used for.Whether this building is popular with tourists. M.E. Faris
Describe a famous person from your country (who has made an important impression on your country). *You should say: who this person is (or was) why they are famous how you know about this person * what type of work they do and samy
Talk about a place that you would like to visit. Please say- What activities would you do there?- How long would you stay there?- What is the best time to visit this place?- What do you particularly like about this place? devabe2005
PART 2Describe an interesting historic place.You should say: what it is where it is located what you can see there now and explain why this place is interesting.You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes.You have one minute to think drjowelynt
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Please explain youropinion. People should always tell the truth. boys_next_door
Decribe a place that you enjoy visitingYou should say:where the place iswhat you can see and do therehow it has changed since you first visited it.and explain why you enjoy visiting this place. Lê Kim Kiều Anh
describe a teacher who has influenced you in your education via oktaria
Talk about a friend that you had during your school days. Please say- Who was he/she?- How did you become friends?- What did you two talk about?- Why was he/she interesting to you? devabe2005
in your country, did people in the past keep in contact in the same ways as they do today? cut muftia keumala

Name
Describe the most important decision that you have made in your life. Whywas it important to you? Use specific examples and details to support yourexplanation. boys_next_door
Describe a subject you enjoyed studying at school.You should say: When and where you started studying it What lessons were like What made the subject different from other subjects And explain why you enjoyed the subject devabe2005
Cue card on favourite song. ankushgurumaa sticky icon
Describe a sports event that you saw on TV or live. Please say- When and where did you see it?- What was the event?- Why did you like watching the event? devabe2005
Describe a children’s game (sports not suggested)How is it played?What can you learn from the game?What impact does it bring on your growth? bjskishore sticky icon
Talk about math lessons at your elementary/primary school. Please say- Why do you think they were useful?- Were they helpful to you?- Did you enjoy them? devabe2005
Describe one of your challenging experiences. Explain why it is challengingand how you conquered this challenge. Please include specific examplesand details in your explanation. boys_next_door
Part 2Describe a piece of electronic equipment that you find useful.You should say: what it is how you learned to use it how long have you had itand explain why you find this piece of electronic equipment useful. kamran7
IELTS BOOK 09 :- Telephoning1. How often do you make telephone calls?2. Who do you spend most time talking to on the telephone?3. When do you think you'll next make a telephone call?4. Do you sometimes prefer to send a text message instead of telephoning? leki55555
Describe an artist or entertainer you admire.You should say: Who they are and what they do How they became successful How you found out about them And explain why you admire them devabe2005

Name Sticky
Some people believe that the high school should teach music and art asother basic science. Some people think that providing music and arteducation for high school students is not necessary. What is your opinionand why? boys_next_door
Some believe that TV, newspaper and radio have more influence on individuals than their relatives and friends, while others believe not. Which statement do you prefer? Please give your opinion with specific examples and details. boys_next_door
In case of problems, some prefer to get advice from family and friends.Others prefer to learn through personal experience. Which method is betterand why? boys_next_door
Whether the government should assist to build museum and theater? Giveyour opinion and include specific examples and details in your explanation. boys_next_door
When travelling, some people prefer to reach the destination directly. Someothers prefer to stop and look around the scenery along the way. What kindof way of travelling do you think is better and why? boys_next_door
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Please give specificreasons for your opinion. Parents should restrict the TV programs that arewatched by their kids instead of letting the kids watch TV programs freely. boys_next_door
Some people tend to judge a person on the basis of first observation. Somepeople believe it takes a long time to know a person well. Which approachto knowing people do you think is better and why? boys_next_door
If you have a chance to choose your job, would you like to choose a job withhigh salary or that can get personal satisfaction? Why? boys_next_door
Which of the following statements do your agree with? Please give specificreasons for your opinion. Some believe that TV programs have a positiveinfluence on modern society. Others, however, think that the influence of TVprograms is negative. boys_next_door