You are hereIELTS | Test Takers - Speaking sample - part 1

IELTS | Test Takers - Speaking sample - part 1

speak_loudly's picture

By speak_loudly - Posted on 19 February 2012

Speaking topic in text: 

In the Speaking test, you have a discussion with a certified Examiner. It is interactive and as close to a real-life situation as a test can get.

The test is 11 to 14 minutes long with three parts. In Part 1, you answer questions about yourself and your family. In Part 2, you speak about a topic. In Part 3, you have a longer discussion on the topic.

There are three parts to the test and each part fulfils a specific function in terms of interaction pattern, task input and candidate output.

The Speaking test is the same for both Academic and General Training tests.

Speaking sample task – Part 1
Part 1 Introduction and interview
[This part of the test begins with the examiner introducing himself or herself and
checking the candidate’s identification. It then continues as an interview.]
Let’s talk about your home town or village.
• What kind of place is it?
• What’s the most interesting part of your town/village?
• What kind of jobs do the people in your town/village do?
• Would you say it’s a good place to live? (Why?)
Let’s move on to talk about accommodation.
• Tell me about the kind of accommodation you live in?
• How long have you lived there?
• What do you like about living there?
• What sort of accommodation would you most like to live in?

Speaking sample task – Part 1 transcript
Part 1 Introduction and interview
Transcript
Examiner: Now, in this first part, I’d like to ask you some more questions about yourself, OK?
Let’s talk about your home town or village. What kind of place is it?
Candidate: It’s quite a small village, about 20km from Zurich. And it’s very quiet. And we have only little ... two little shops because most of the people work in Zurich or are orientated to the city.
Examiner: What’s the most interesting part of this place ... village?
Candidate: On the top of a hill we have a little castle which is very old and quite well known in Switzerland.
Examiner: What kind of jobs do people in the village do?
Candidate: We have some farmers in the village as well as people who work in Zurich as bankers or journalists or there are also teachers and some doctors, some medicines.
Examiner: Would you say it’s a good place to live?
Candidate: Yes. Although it is very quiet, it is … people are friendly and I would say it is a good place to live there, yes.
Examiner: Let’s move on to talk about accommodation. Tell me about the kind of accommodation you live in ...

Speaking recording: 
Your rating: None Average: 7 (15 votes)
More speakings by this user:

cambridge ielts 6 test 1 part 3 renofitriasari
Describe a journey you made where you learned something new.You should say; What happened on the journeywhat forms of transport you usedhow you feltand explain what you learned which was new ismayanti
Some think the college education is very important. Others believe thatcollege education is not of vital importance in one’s life. What’s your opinionand why? boys_next_door
Talk about math lessons at your elementary/primary school. Please say- Why do you think they were useful?- Were they helpful to you?- Did you enjoy them? devabe2005
Describe a celebration or moment which has made a deep impression onyou. Please explain the impression and include specific examples anddetails in you explanation. boys_next_door
Talk about a visit that you received in your home. Please say- Who was visiting you?- When was it?- What did you do?- Did you enjoy that visit? Why? sprigidts
Describe a beautiful place where you would like to have a home. Please say- Where and what is this place?- When did you first see it or hear about it?- Why do you think it is such a beautiful place? devabe2005
Cambrige 4 task 1part 1 friendpart 2 historic placepart 3 looking after historical places andilili
Describe your last travel adventurer
Speaking part 2Describe a well-known person you like or admire.You should say: who this person is what this person has done why this person is well known and explain why you admire this person.You will have to talk about the topic for one to t drjowelynt

Name
Describe the most important decision that you have made in your life. Whywas it important to you? Use specific examples and details to support yourexplanation. boys_next_door
Describe a subject you enjoyed studying at school.You should say: When and where you started studying it What lessons were like What made the subject different from other subjects And explain why you enjoyed the subject devabe2005
Describe a sports event that you saw on TV or live. Please say- When and where did you see it?- What was the event?- Why did you like watching the event? devabe2005
Cue card on favourite song. ankushgurumaa sticky icon
Part 2Describe a piece of electronic equipment that you find useful.You should say: what it is how you learned to use it how long have you had itand explain why you find this piece of electronic equipment useful. kamran7
Describe an artist or entertainer you admire.You should say: Who they are and what they do How they became successful How you found out about them And explain why you admire them devabe2005
Describe a children’s game (sports not suggested)How is it played?What can you learn from the game?What impact does it bring on your growth? bjskishore sticky icon
Describe a beautiful place to visit in your country.You should say: where it is how to get there what there is to do when you are thereand explain why you recommend this place. Omar Sheta
Describe a time when you were ask to give your opinion in a questionnaire or survey. You should say: What the questionnaire / survey was about? Why you were asked to give your opinions? What opinions you gave?and explain how you felt about giving yo babal-e-raman

Name Sticky
Some people tend to judge a person on the basis of first observation. Somepeople believe it takes a long time to know a person well. Which approachto knowing people do you think is better and why? boys_next_door
Describe a book that you believe is the most useful to you. Please explainthe reason and include specific examples and details in your explanation. boys_next_door
Some people believe that the high school should teach music and art asother basic science. Some people think that providing music and arteducation for high school students is not necessary. What is your opinionand why? boys_next_door
Some believe that TV, newspaper and radio have more influence on individuals than their relatives and friends, while others believe not. Which statement do you prefer? Please give your opinion with specific examples and details. boys_next_door
In case of problems, some prefer to get advice from family and friends.Others prefer to learn through personal experience. Which method is betterand why? boys_next_door
Whether the government should assist to build museum and theater? Giveyour opinion and include specific examples and details in your explanation. boys_next_door
When travelling, some people prefer to reach the destination directly. Someothers prefer to stop and look around the scenery along the way. What kindof way of travelling do you think is better and why? boys_next_door
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Please give specificreasons for your opinion. Parents should restrict the TV programs that arewatched by their kids instead of letting the kids watch TV programs freely. boys_next_door
If you have a chance to choose your job, would you like to choose a job withhigh salary or that can get personal satisfaction? Why? boys_next_door
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Please explain youropinion. People should always tell the truth. boys_next_door