You are hereIELTS | Test Takers - Speaking sample - part 2

IELTS | Test Takers - Speaking sample - part 2

speak_loudly's picture

By speak_loudly - Posted on 18 February 2012

Speaking topic in text: 

In the Speaking test, you have a discussion with a certified Examiner. It is interactive and as close to a real-life situation as a test can get.

The test is 11 to 14 minutes long with three parts. In Part 1, you answer questions about yourself and your family. In Part 2, you speak about a topic. In Part 3, you have a longer discussion on the topic.

There are three parts to the test and each part fulfils a specific function in terms of interaction pattern, task input and candidate output.

The Speaking test is the same for both Academic and General Training tests.

Speaking sample task – Part 2
Part 2 – Individual long turn
Candidate Task Card
Describe something you own which is very important to you.
You should say:
where you got it from
how long you have had it
what you use it for
and explain why it is important to you.
You will have to talk about the topic for 1 to 2 minutes.
You have one minute to think about what you're going to say.
You can make some notes to help you if you wish.
Rounding off questions
• Is it valuable in terms of money?
• Would it be easy to replace?

Speaking sample task – Part 2 transcript
Part 2 – Individual long turn
Transcript
Examiner: Alright? Remember you have one to two minutes for this, so don’t worry if I stop you. I’ll tell you when the time is up.
Candidate: OK
Examiner: Can you start speaking now, please?
Candidate: Yes. One of the most important things I have is my piano because I like playing the piano. I got it from my parents to my twelve birthday, so I have it for about nine years, and the reason why it is so important for me is that I can go into another world when I’m playing piano. I can forget what’s around me and what ... I can forget my problems and this is sometimes quite good for a few minutes. Or I can play to relax or just, yes to … to relax and to think of something completely different.
Examiner: Thank you. Would it be easy to replace this, this piano?
Candidate: Yes, I think it wouldn’t be that big problem but I like my piano as it is because I have it from my parents, it’s some kind unique for me.

Speaking recording: 
Your rating: None Average: 7.9 (8 votes)
This speaking topic by other users:
Post date Users Rates More about the speaking Sticky
1 year 2 weeks ago mananshah
mananshah's picture
Listen to this speaking

Name
Talk about math lessons at your elementary/primary school. Please say- Why do you think they were useful?- Were they helpful to you?- Did you enjoy them? devabe2005
Describe the most important decision that you have made in your life. Whywas it important to you? Use specific examples and details to support yourexplanation. boys_next_door
Describe a subject you enjoyed studying at school.You should say: When and where you started studying it What lessons were like What made the subject different from other subjects And explain why you enjoyed the subject devabe2005
Part 2Describe a piece of electronic equipment that you find useful.You should say: what it is how you learned to use it how long have you had itand explain why you find this piece of electronic equipment useful. kamran7
Describe a sports event that you saw on TV or live. Please say- When and where did you see it?- What was the event?- Why did you like watching the event? devabe2005
Describe an artist or entertainer you admire.You should say: Who they are and what they do How they became successful How you found out about them And explain why you admire them devabe2005
Do you agree or disagree: Students should wear uniform in school? Pleaseinclude specific details and examples in your opinion. boys_next_door
IELTS speaking sample - part 3 IELTS_speaking sticky icon
Describe the characteristics of friends, use specific examples to supportyour statement. boys_next_door
Describe your favorite room. Your statement should include specificexamples and details. boys_next_door

Name Sticky
Some people think that it’s necessary to prohibit people from using phonecalls in some places. Others believe that it’s inconvenient if phone calls areforbidden in some places. Which opinion do you prefer? Explain why. Yourstatement should include specifi boys_next_door
Usually, novels, magazines and poetry are considered the three major formsof literature. Which one do you prefer and explain why you prefer thisliterature form. Please include specific examples and details in yourexplanation. boys_next_door
Whether the government should assist to build museum and theater? Giveyour opinion and include specific examples and details in your explanation. boys_next_door
Some people tend to judge a person on the basis of first observation. Somepeople believe it takes a long time to know a person well. Which approachto knowing people do you think is better and why? boys_next_door
Some people believe that the high school should teach music and art asother basic science. Some people think that providing music and arteducation for high school students is not necessary. What is your opinionand why? boys_next_door
Some believe that TV, newspaper and radio have more influence on individuals than their relatives and friends, while others believe not. Which statement do you prefer? Please give your opinion with specific examples and details. boys_next_door
In case of problems, some prefer to get advice from family and friends.Others prefer to learn through personal experience. Which method is betterand why? boys_next_door
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Please give specificreasons for your opinion. Parents should restrict the TV programs that arewatched by their kids instead of letting the kids watch TV programs freely. boys_next_door
Describe somewehere you like to shop for foodyou should say:1. Where the place is2. What this place is like3. What you buy thereand explain why you like buying food at this place (Study Sample) eddysuaib
When travelling, some people prefer to reach the destination directly. Someothers prefer to stop and look around the scenery along the way. What kindof way of travelling do you think is better and why? boys_next_door