You are hereGeneration differences

Generation differences

ali's picture

By ali - Posted on 19 April 2012

Generation differences

Every generation of people is different in important ways. How is your generation different from your parents' generation? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your answer.

Generational differences have always happened throughout history but some differences have come more rapidly and widely in the modern era because in part of technological and social changes. There are obvious differences between generations with respects to such matters as musical tastes, fashion trends, educational systems, cultures, lifestyles, politics and even attitudes toward sexual activities. It is particularly interesting to compare our generation with our parents' generation in subjects related to work and family.

Let's begin with the generation X as our generation, coming after the generation "baby boomers." The mainstream Xers are mostly not as workaholic as their parents when younger. The reduced number of working hours is just one example. While the boomers are good team players and love the social interaction at work, their offspring's are more skeptical, stressing personal merits instead of antiquity. Unlike their previous generation, however, the younger generation is more inclined to change jobs or have parallel careers, if only for financial reasons. On the other hand, they demand more time for themselves, their families and friends. Boomers are relatively more conservative in comparison with their more liberal sons and daughters who are looking for more work-life balance.   

Along with the reduced working time, the size of family has gradually been reduced, one-child or two-child program becoming more common. It used to be larger families among boomers. Our generation allows formal marriages and co-habitations to exist side by side. An increasing percentage of divorces and separations have appeared in our generation than in our parents' generation. More young women work and parenting has become a problem of the family. Teen-age pregnancy without a ring is no longer a scandal as was in our parents' generation. Pre-marital sex was considered dirty when air and water were cleaner in our parents' generation, and in the generations before them.

Our parents' generation, in particular, has a complaint to make. They say when they were younger, there was no respect for youth. Now that they are old, there is not respect for age. If this could be justified, what would become of our children's generation. The millennial will have little patience. The new reality in generational differences would certainly surprise our parents' generation, let alone the generation before them, the era of "veterans".

king somewhere

User comment: I want to talk to someone in English to prepare for an exam

Choose one of the following transportation vehicle and explain why you think it has changed people's lives. Automobile, airplane, bicycle. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answers. Ashkan Sabtkar Independent TOEFL Writing
TOEFL essay: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? All students should be required to study art and music in secondary school. Use specific reasons and details to support your opinion. Neda.gha Independent TOEFL Writing
As countries have developed there has been a trend towards smaller family sizes.Why does this happen? How does this affect society? Akbar Sabetkar Independent TOEFL Writing
do you agree or disagree with the following statement? distance learning and computer online class should replace classroom learning. use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. salah5531 Independent TOEFL Writing
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Dancing plays an important role in a culture. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer ioanap sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
integrated writting Ekhlass1980 Integrated TOEFL Writing
Some people spend their entire lives in one place. Others move a number of times throuhout their lives, looking for a better job, house,community or even climate. Which do you prefer:staying in one place or moving in search of another place? nomantic Independent TOEFL Writing
Your school has enough money to purchase either computers for students or books for the library. Which should your school choose to buy – computers or books? Use specific reasons and examples to support your recommendation. ronxyz TOEFL
The trasnportation and communication like airplanes and telephone are very imporatant innovations.Which technological innovation chaged the way of interaction eith each other and why? sonia123 sticky icon TOEFL
People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. hossein021 TOEFL

It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than in a big city. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to develop your essay. ioanap sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better to save your money for some time in the future? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. okoronkwoac sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
Own a business. ioanap Integrated TOEFL Writing
You have enough money to purchase either a house or a business. Whichwould you choose to buy? Give specific reasons to explain your choice. okoronkwoac sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing
three obstacles which archaeologists confronted in Britain. mitranasrabadi sticky icon Integrated TOEFL Writing
Three ways for controlling cane toads in order not to over populate in Australia mitranasrabadi sticky icon Integrated TOEFL Writing
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important for students to study history and literature than it is for them to study science and mathematics. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. covinfox Independent TOEFL Writing
consequences of raising fossil trade mitranasrabadi Integrated TOEFL Writing
Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other peopleprefer to prepare and eat food at home. Which do you prefer? Usespecific reasons and examples to support your answer. okoronkwoac Independent TOEFL Writing
Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. ioanap sticky icon Independent TOEFL Writing

Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer. basilmostafa Independent TOEFL Writing
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Children should be occupied at all times and should never be left to their own devices. makar21 Independent TOEFL Writing
4-Day Workweek The popular 5-day workweek has long been a staple in U.S. business. With employees working 8 hours a day for a total of 40 hours a week, it has been seen as a model of efficiency. However, some companies and government agencies have begun c Joanne927 Integrated TOEFL Writing

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/toefl