You are hereThe effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.

The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.

aarkadatta's picture

By aarkadatta - Posted on 31 July 2012

A country is not a just land for living or earning. It is more than something else. Though it is very difficult to describe the exact components that make a country we can make a rough outline of it. Citizens are such a major part of it. But how the citizens are that define a country. For example Germans are very punctual about time , that roughly emphasizes how the country might be. In the given passage author has argued that the country's leader effectiveness can be effectively measured by citizen's well-being. In my opinion the tool of judging the effectiveness of the leaders not always hold true. It will vary upon situation and social economic condition of that country.

Many would argue that it is it is very easy to measure the performance of the few leaders than measuring all citizens to evaluate the well being of that country's citizen. Though it is easy but it may not be failsafe technique because often it may mislead the result.

The leaders of a country are those who leads, motivate and assist the citizen to move forward to the direction of the progress. But it may be possible that all the citizens are not affected by that movement and they choose not to follow it. So in any case if we take those citizen as our sample then we may be mislead that the leaders are not effective. On the other hand all leaders are not effective and it may be possible that some citizens choose to look forward . In this case also if we choose them as our evaluation sample then again we will be misleading.

Lets take an example in end of nineteenth century the civilized condition of Singapore was at scarcity. Very few citizens able to live peacefully. In that situation some leaders urged to changed the condition and they successfully did. Now if we are going to measure those leader then we will get a true picture of citizens well-being of Singapore. Now that case does not hold always. Take another example of Bangladesh. Military power already overcame the democracy. But the citizens are yet to accept that ruling. Those citizens are still well natured and supporter of democracy. But the leaders of Bangladesh do not show that sprit. Thus measurement will incorrect.

In conclusion , leaders performance surely desired but they weakly reflected the well being of the citizens. If we truly want to measure the well-being of the citizen then we should directly measure them not the reflection of the leaders.