"Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Plaza store owners believe that the decrease in their business is due to the numb

The author of the argument states that an increase in the number of skateboarders has resulted in a decrease in the number of shoppers. Hence, in order to flourish their business again, store owners have asked the officials to prevent skateboarding in the area. Although, this argument gives a couple of reasons why such prevention is needed, yet some other questions need to be answered properly before taking action upon this matter.

The main question is that whether there is a relation between skateboarders and customers or not. In particular, there should be some evidence that the presence of skateboarders bothers customers and therefore does not allow them to do the shopping in a comforting environment. If the answer is positive, it is sensible that shoppers refuse going to Central Plaza. Otherwise, if no direct or indirect relation can be established between these two groups, prohibiting skateboarding is meaningless.

Since vandalism and litter are two strongly repelling factors for shoppers, more information is needed to find the responsible group of these actions. Before making a decision we should know who ruins the vicinity of the plaza. It is likely that skateboarders do things of this kind but there might be some gang who could be considered as the culprit.

And finally, even if skateboarding is the main factor for annoying customers, entirely prohibiting this sport and entertainment might be irrational. City officials should ask if there is no other place to go for the skateboarders or they merely come to plaza to annoy others deliberately. Depending on the answer the city should decide between prohibiting skateboarding or allocating more fund to the skateboarders to have better area for skating.

All in all, if the argument wants to be as effective as the author desires, some more specific questions are required to be responded. If the answer to the discussed questions leads the city to skateboarding as the guilty then suppressing this action is a reasonable choice.

Argument 1 -- OK

Argument 2 -- OK

Argument 3 -- NOT OK. Even though skateboarding is prohibited here, It doesn't mean that business in Central Plaza will return to its previously high levels. A lot of other factors.