INSTANT MBA: Include Your Team In The Hiring Process

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 06/17/2013 - 18:00

Mon, Jun 17, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT - U.S. Markets closed

Joel Peterson

LinkedIn

" Your best people are an invaluable resource in deciding who to add to the team. They’ll be able to see subtle things about a candidate that you missed, personality traits that you didn’t register, and technical strengths or weaknesses that you don’t understand. They’ll be able to give you a collective gut read on whether the person would fit on the team, and they’ll have ideas for how to define the candidate’s position and responsibilities."

Peterson says that i nviting your team into the hiring process will send a signal of trust, and will show your team that you trust their j udgment. When actually sending team members to interview,  you should come up with a plan that capitalizes on their strengths. For example, have an engineer interview for technical skills, or a communicator interview for people skills. 

"If the team feels excluded from the hiring process, they may feel like you don’t have confidence in their opinions. I f your employees feel frozen out of the hiring process, they may feel resentful of the new hire, or even threatened by her. That type of toxic feeling can and will get in the way of the new hire’s success, no matter how qualified the person is."

Want your business advice featured in Instant MBA? Submit your tips to tipoftheday@businessinsider.com. Be sure to include your name, your job title, and a photo of yourself in your email.

Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE, and NYSEAmex when available. See also delay times for other exchanges. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. Quotes are updated automatically, but will be turned off after 25 minutes of inactivity. Quotes are delayed at least 15 minutes. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.

Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Morningstar, Inc.

Yahoo! - ABC News Network

Article references
finance.yahoo.com