Home >> Gmatgre Argument Task Essays

The following appeared as a letter to the editor of a national newspaper."Your recent article on corporate downsizing* in Elthyria maintains that the majority of competent workers who have lost jobs as a result of downsizing face serious economic hardship

Essay topics: The following appeared as a letter to the editor of a national newspaper."Your recent article on corporate downsizing* in Elthyria maintains that the majority of competent workers who have lost jobs as a result of downsizing face serious economic hardship, often for years, before finding other suitable employment. But this claim is undermined by a recent report on the Elthyrian economy, which found that since 1999 far more jobs have been created than have been eliminated, bringing the unemployment rate in Elthyria to its lowest level in decades.Moreover, two-thirds of these newly created jobs have been in industries that tend to pay above-average wages, and the vast majority of these jobs are full-time."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

siamakd's picture

The author of the letter opposes an article maintaining that the most of the competent workers who lost their jobs in the downsizing process of Elthyria face serious hardship before finding other jobs. The purport of the author’s argument is that workers do not face financial hardships because the Elthyria provided more job opportunities than downsizing the employees. The arguments require several vital evidences in order to buttress the opposing position of the author.

First, the author cites a report that within the past decade the rate of unemployment was the lowest level regarding other decades and the new jobs have been far more created than jobs which were eliminated. The author needs evidence that such new jobs are available for the competent laid off workers. Although the rate of the unemployment is decreased, it might however, still be very high, defying the attempts of the laid off workers to find jobs. It is possible that many are on the waiting list of the jobs to fulfill them, allowing no remaining opportunities for the competent workers to find jobs. The author needs to provide evidence that the quantity of the new jobs would be in balance with the demands of society, not just merely stating that jobs created are more than those eliminated.

Secondly, a crucial evidence is needed to attest that laid off competent workers can also be fitted in the new jobs. It is possible that new jobs lack grounds that the workers use their skills. For instance, think about the workers who are competent in working in carpentry for years that they were employed by the Elthyria. The company then contracts the carpentry zone and extends a part in metallurgy. Obviously, there is no competency of a skilled carpenter in metallurgy. Therefore the laid off workers should seek further for a job.

Finally, assuming that the quantity of new jobs is sufficient for the laid off employees and the jobs conform with their expertise, nevertheless, still the author needs evidence that the wages are significantly above average covering the workers’ needs. It is possible that the increase above average wages is not significant. For example, it may be 1$ in $1000. The increase might not stand against the debts and demands of the workers who experienced a period of unemployment. If this is the case, then the workers still seek for the new jobs and vicissitudes are what they face during this time.

In short, the author needs evidence to quantify and qualify the new jobs in Elthyria. The enumerated evidence would help us to evaluate whether the new jobs usher in the life without financial hardships for the laid off workers. Without such evidence, the conclusion, which is based on an ambiguous argument, fails to be tenable.