The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing.
"Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulties in obtaining reliable supplies of high quality wool fabric, we discontinued production of our alpaca overcoat. Now that we have a new fabric supplier, we should resume production. This coat should sell very well: since we have not offered an alpaca overcoat for five years and since our major competitor no longer makes an alpaca overcoat, there will be pent-up customer demand. Also, since the price of most types of clothing has increased in each of the past five years, customers should be willing to pay significantly higher prices for alpaca overcoats than they did five years ago, and our company profits will increase."
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
The writer of the argument recommends that Sartorian company have to start the production of alpaca overcoat which has been out of production for the last five years. This recommendation cannot be accepted as it is based on a number of premises for the support of which there is not enough evidence.
First of all, the writer contends that alpaca overcoat should sell very well because no company has offered this coat for the last five years. However, there is no evidence to show that there is still demand for this kind overcoat. Maybe the Satorian company’s competitor does not produce this coat anymore because it had not adequate sales in past five years and the company was unable to earn profits from them. Or maybe this kind of overcoat is not fashion anymore; as you know, fashion is by nature ephemeral and it is possible that people now prefer another types of overcoat rather than alpaca one. Without ruling out these possibilities the author cannot justifiably conclude that there is still demand for alpaca overcoat.
Second, the fact that the price of clothing has increased in past five years is no good evidence to conclude that customers are willing to pay more as well. As a matter of fact, the increase in the price of the goods usually has adverse impact on their sales, so maybe consumers tend to buy less clothes than five years ago due to price inflation. Or maybe people are more frugal now and prefer to buy other types of overcoats with less prices from other companies. There is nothing in the passage to indicate that these scenarios are implausible.
Third, Let us suppose that people would buy overcoats at a higher price from company, selling more expensive coats does not necessarily means higher profits and it merely indicate higher revenues. Maybe the costs of coat production has increased considerably within past five years; consequently, although the company will sell coats at higher prices, it is unable to increase profits.
In final analysis, the writer’s recommendation cannot be taken to be correct because, as it was shown in body paragraphs above, it depends on a number of assumptions each of which is questionable. The recommendation can only be accepted if the weaknesses already referred to are all removed.
- Claim The best test of an argument is its ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint Reason Only by being forced to defend an idea against the doubts and contrasting views of others does one really discover the value of that idea 88
- A recently issued twenty-year study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia investigated the possible therapeutic effect of consuming salicylates. Salicylates are members of the same chemical family as aspirin, a medicine used to treat headaches. 60
- All college and university students would benefit from spending at least one semester studying in a foreign country.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the posit 50
- The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing."Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulties in obtaining reliable supplies of high quality wool fabric, we discontinued productio 80
- Government officials should rely on their own judgment rather than unquestioningly carry out the will of the people they serve.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoni 70
Sentence: Or maybe this kind of overcoat is not fashion anymore; as you know, fashion is by nature ephemeral and it is possible that people now prefer another types of overcoat rather than alpaca one.
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to another and types
argument 1 -- OK
argument 2 -- OK
argument 3 -- OK
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 15 15
No. of Words: 383 350
No. of Characters: 1844 1500
No. of Different Words: 182 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.424 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.815 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.53 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 131 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 93 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 60 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 31 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 25.533 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 7.145 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.6 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.344 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.607 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.105 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5