Essay topics: The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.
"Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to our news programs and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should expand our coverage of weather and local news on all our news programs."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
In the memorandum, the business manager recommend an initiation of expanding the portion of local new and whether report in order to attract more viewers and advertisement investment. The managers assumes that in the e last year the decreasing late-night news coverage in nation news, local news and weather report has a deleterious impact on the relationship with local business company and local audience, as a result of which he/she also received abundant complaints. While the recommendation might be beneficial to some extent, the reasoning of this argument is unconvincing. If the assumption above is proven unwarranted, it will seriously challenge the author's recommendation.
First of all, the manager's recommendation relies heavily on the assumption that dramatically decline of both audience and advertisement revenue is seriously enough to require immediate measures be taken. Specifically, he assumes that the complaints from viewers are for less weather and local news. Based on such assumption, the writer therefore proposes formal instruction to attract more local viewers and investors. However, this assumption is potentially problematic because we are not informed with the exact reason why local businesses men withdraw their contract. In addition, nor do we know what the audiences have complained about. If it turns out that the reasoning of investment losing and views leaving are not due to the less time on local news, then the author's argument for an expansion of local news and weather in the late-night program is invalid.
In addition, the manager argues that they should expand the coverage of weather or local news in case to lose any further advertising revenues. However, this argument is based on a gratuitous assumption that the decreasing of local news and weather is the only reason of losing advertisement contract, which is unwarranted. It is of possibility that the unprofessional style of the late-night program caused the failure in attracting investment. Additionally, lack of sufficient viewers in the late night, which will lose the efficiency of the advertisement, could also serve as an alternative reason. If any of these possibilities is true,, then we are inclined to believe that other assumption could compromise the one proposed by the manager.
Even if the assumptions mentioned above are of validity, the manager’s recommendation could be unnecessary due to the doubtful assumption concerning the declining audience. It is unreasonable to assume the decreasing coverage of weather and local news is the only reason of the dramatically views fluctuation from their complaint. Without denying, the manager hastily draws an invalid conclusion. The complaints from the viewers are wanting of revision. It is equal possibility that low quality of the national news and bias from the program could also serve as another significant reason. If this program provokes the above mentioned possibilities, then the recommendation may not be enacted and we cannot therefore expect an increasing number of audience.
To put in a nutshell,, whether or not we should implement the manager's recommendation depends greatly on the validity of the assumption in the argument. If these assumption prove unwarranted, then the recommendation will be little more that the manager's wishful thinking, and accordingly we need to consider other alternative and convincing solutions to tackle this program's difficulty.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 year 4 days ago||AMARDEEP KOUR GEDHU||30||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 week ago||bkhoshoo||40||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 week ago||add0794||43||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 week ago||Iris_Che||58||Read full essay|
|1 year 2 weeks ago||BigSize2Shots||68||Read full essay|
|1 year 2 weeks ago||Tugba Ozturk||62.5||Read full essay|
|1 year 2 weeks ago||vibhash||53||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 weeks ago||Vidushi Dubey||38||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 month ago||sssungsung||66||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 month ago||sajoshi42||45||Read full essay|
- The following appeared in a memo to the board of directors of a company that specializes in the delivery of heating oil."Most homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for he (66)
- College and university should require all faculty to spend time working outside the academic world in profession relevant to the courses they teach.Should colleges and university faculty be encouraged to work outside the academic field which they have rel (90)
- University should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure t (66)
- As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reason (83)
- University should require every student to take a variety of cources outside the student's field of study. (66)
- Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.Writ (66)
- Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the (66)
- A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position (66)
- A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position (50)
- An action is morally correct if the amount of good that results from the action is greater than the amount of bad that results from the action. Reason : When assessing the morality of action, the result of an action are more important than the intent of t (58)