Claim In any field business politics education government those in power should step down after five years Reason The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership Write a response in which you discuss the extent to wh

Claim: In any field — business, politics, education, government — those in power should step down after five years.

Reason: The surest path to success for any enterprise is revitalization through new leadership.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

The author states that those in power should step down after a brief tenure of five years as he believes that revitalization through new leadership is essential. Although new leaders can bring certain new ideas and could possibly revitalize the organization; however, I believe that there are several negative aspects of such a policy that might outweigh the benefit as mentioned above.
Firstly, bringing new leaders might result in a loss of useful experience that the predecessor has learned from his stay in office for five years. The person might be at the height of his excellence and performance at the end of the tenure and the removal will result in loss such a valuable leader. On the other hand, a new leader might be lacking the necessary experience to run the organization which can result in hampering the progress of the organization. For example, what happened to the apple when Steve Jobs was removed from Apple, and what were the results when he was re-appointed? Another such example is that of Microsoft whose successes are attributable to Bill Gates's business savvy and acumen. If he had been forced out of power after a brief period of five years, Microsoft would not have been such a successful organization.

In addition, change of leadership might result in discontinuation of certain policies and procedures which are central to the success of the organization and, in some cases, might result in result in the demoralization of the employees. For example, if a company thrives on the dedication of the employees because the manager is providing them with certain incentives—such as flexible timing, and advance salaries—and the incoming leader, possibly due to his strict nature, might not be able to do so, the result would be decreased motivational level and commitment to the company. This would certainly impede the progress of the organization.

However, some may argue that long tenure will cause the leaders to become increasingly autocratic in handling their affairs and that the reduced fear of accountability might lead them to misuse their authority while in power; yet, such problems can be overcome with effective accountability and system of audits. The authority of congress to impeach the sitting president is one typical example of such an accountability system to check the power of the President in the US. Even the benefit of revitalization can also be achieved by other measures than the leadership switch, for example, by appointing new consultants, or by switching the people below in the different areas of the organization. After all, it is through these people that the leader manages the organization, thus, their input is crucial.

In conclusion, the change of leadership of an organization or any other endeavor would result in the loss of an experienced leader which can be detrimental to its cause. Moreover, the policies of a new leader might prove detrimental especially, if not in concord with the predecessor. Therefore, it is recommended the leader in any endeavor must be allowed to continue for a longer period than five years; however effective legal systems must be in place to make them accountable for their decisions.