"People most respect the powerful not when they exercise their power, but when they refrain from exercising it."Write an essay in which you develop and support a position on the statement above. In writing your essay, you should consider both when the sta

There is an old Chinese saying that true wisdom lies not when someone knows when to exercise his power for good or evil but when he truly knows when to not act at all. That said, how can anyone determine the correlation of respect and the exercise of power? In the political context, as it is commonly correlated with power, it raises an obscure argument that exercised power inspires respect since its the only way to actually change the flow of things and of course history itself. On the contrary, others would support the notion that true respect comes from the ability to restrain power. After carefully weighting historical facts, it becomes clear that people mostly respect leaders who act and exercise their power.

To begin with, the ability to show restrain can engender respect. A bright example that most people have heard of is the trial of Jesus in Pilate's court. Pilate, after carefully examining the facts that were presented he quoted "I wash my hands" implying that he was not in a position to clearly declare any sentence although historians have concluded that he was eager to favour Jesus. Nevertheless, as Jesus was later on sentenced to crucifixion, and since Pilate was the only man who could actually set him free, his stasis and his inability to exercise his power has was the primary reason for losing his respect among the Christian people.

On the other hand, one solid example of exercised power relates to a politician named Margaret Thatcher. Also known as the "Iron Lady", she is the longest-serving British Prime minister of the 20th century. Thatcher became a noticeable politician due to her determination to apply really innovative political and economical initiatives that contributed in Britain's recovery during the 80s. It is clear that Thatcher would have not succeed if she was not resolute in exercising her power as a politician, a fact that justifies her great reputation and admiration by British people and a base argument that has granted her a title in the House of Lords.

In addition, another luminary persona of the ancient Greek political scene is Pericles, a man with a profound influence on the Athenian society. Referred to as the "first citizen", Pericles has gained his reputation by exercising power to benefit the citizens of Athens. Credited for many positive deeds, like the promotion of arts and Parthenon's construction, his greatest achievement was to exercise his power and declare the Athenean democracy, an act that has changed history and set the foundations of the modern civilization as we know it. He is the brightest example of a man who has gained peoples' respect from wisely exercising his power.

To sum up, after considering both sides of the issue, it is inevitably concluded that the exercise of power is mostly respected. The examples aforementioned, clearly show that if the entity in power chooses not to exercise power at all, it is that option itself that makes the entity lose respect. The exercise of power, has created personas that are still admired and respected. Hence, it is not the restraint of power that people most respect, it is the exercise of power that matters most.

Need more arguments. Most of contents are examples.