The surest indicator of a great nation is represented not by the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but by the general welfare of its people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statemen

The surest indicator of a great nation is represented not by the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but by the general welfare of its people.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The definition of the greatness of a nation is nothing but a dilemma. Considering only the general welfare of its populace as an indicator connects greatness directly to the economic situation of that country. However, the money a country can generate does not depend on not only the people who live in that area, but also the geopolitical position of the country and the economic situation in the world. Hence, the claim that welfare of its people is the surest indicator of greatness of a nation is misdirected. There are other measurements such as the importance of that country in the development of history and its great minds that are introduced to the intellectual environment of the world are also significant indicators of greatness of a nation.

To begin with, considering only general welfare of the population is not logical since the welfare of the populace might change throughout the history. Great empires rose and fell; hence, the economic and political status of a country is not constant all the time. When claiming that general welfare is an indicator, one should explain welfare in which period should be considered in decision process. For example, Turks lived in welfare during the Middle Ages since they founded Ottoman Empire and Ottoman Empire ruled several rich areas in those times. However, when the current welfare of the country is considered, then no one can claim that Turks are one of the great nations in the world. In addition, American nation did not exist before the discovery of America; but they are the most affluent country in the world today. If the greatness is defined in terms of welfare, the greatness of the nations alters throughout the history.

In addition, the values a nation adds to the history of the world is also a significant indicator. Some nations changed the direction of world’s history by their actions and ideas. For example, French Revolution shaped the current democratic environment in the world. Their action inspired many nations who had been live under the domination of empires to achieve their liberty. Moreover, the ideas that are generated before and after the Revolution improved the statue of simple men. The ideas prepared the foundation of human rights. As a result of the revolution, simple men is salvaged from being considered as the slave of the kings or feudal lords; the improvements in their position during Revolution paved the road to modern democratic rights in today’s world. Hence, their contribution to the humanity is far more valuable than their economic condition. Consequently, the importance of countries in historical process is also a cardinal indicator of greatness of that nation.

Finally, the great scientists, artists, and rulers of that nation are also important factors that should be taken into account when determining greatness of a nation. These people represent the values this country presented to the intellectual environment of the world. Moreover, achievements of these people might had changed the lives of millions of people in the world. For example, Pasteur when he developed the vaccine for rabias did not treat only people of its nation but the humankind. Great rulers such as Gandhi did not change only fate of its nation but aroused desire for independence in the hearts of many people in the world. Hence, asserting that achievements of these people should not be considered as a factor for greatness of a nation does not have any merit.

To sum up, greatness of a nation should not be reduced only to welfare of its people since welfare of the populace might change throughout the history. Moreover, the importance of a nation in history of the world and achievements of its great minds are significant when determining the greatness of a nation.