New Report Sheds Light on the Role of the GRE

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 06/24/2014 - 12:01

Standardized tests have long been a necessary part of applying to college. A significant number of schools require some type of score to be included with formal applications, whether a student is interested in earning a bachelor's degree or entering a doctorate program. While the SAT and ACT are both undergoing changes to better serve students and colleges, there are still many ways standardized tests can improve to reflect the needs and knowledge of individuals.

Is the GRE a Good Measure for Graduate School? 

According to Business Insider, colleges in the U.S. are awarding more master's degrees than ever before. In fact, people are earning twice as many master's degrees per capita than they were about 30 years ago. Before graduate students can start working on these credentials, however, most have to take the GRE and send their scores to potential schools. 

A recent report published in the journal Nature discusses the idea that academic institutions place too much of an emphasis on GRE scores. Authors Casey Miller and Keivan Stassun, both professors, argue that results of standardized tests such as the GRE are more a reflection of socioeconomic status than actual knowledge. By stressing the scores over other qualities, schools are potentially missing out on great candidates. In fact, the authors cite past studies that found "only a weak correlation between the test and ultimate success in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) fields." 

GRE scores can vary widely across demographics, and they may be particularly damaging to the odds of college admission for women and minorities. According to the research published in Nature, women, on average, score 80 points lower on the physical sciences than men, while African-Americans score 200 points below their white counterparts. 

The GRE Still Brings Benefits 

Although there may be some objections to the use of GRE scores, most colleges require them for admission to graduate programs, and they will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. The Educational Testing Service claims that the test is a valid method of predicting success in graduate school, according to Inside Higher Ed.

"Attributing lower numbers of women and minorities only to the GRE test understates the issues associated with graduate admissions dramatically," David Payne, the vice president and chief operating officer of ETS's Global Education Division, told Inside Higher Ed. "Other factors including cost, time and personal interest also play into decisions on whether to pursue a degree in the STEM fields." 

Article references
www.usnewsuniversitydirectory.com