Write a letter of complaint to the manager of an online shopping site about a few products that you bought and aren t happy with In your letter Give details of your order Explain about the problem with the products Say what you want the manager to do abou

Dear Sir/ Mam,

I am writing this letter to express my dissatisfaction towards your shipment number #123456. Last week I had ordered a FENDI handbag and a wallet from your website. Although I placed the ordered for red color handbag and black wallet but when I received the shipment, I found out that I got black handbag and red wallet.

In addition to this, i have also noticed that leather part of the handbag is really good, however the metal part which is a chain in bag is broken at many places. I am already aware about the brand name and quality of FENDI brand and i firmly believe that this is a genuine mistake from the purchase department.

Therefore, I request you to exchange the purchase from the one I ordered. I really liked the model hence I don't want to change the model of the handbag as well as wallet.

Your kind response is awaited.

Your's sincerely
Mohsina