the percentage of households owned and rented in England and Wales in between 1918 and 2011

the percentage of households owned and rented in England and Wales in between 1918 and 2011.

The bar graph demonstrates the proportion of residences owned and rented in England and Wales, over a period between 1918 and 2011. In general, it is evident that the percentage of houses owned decreased throughout the period while the opposite trend is observed for rentals.

Looking at the statistics, initially in 1918, the data began with the maximum number of about 78 percent in ownership whereas the lowest of around 28percent is seen for renting households. However, the former gradually decreased to 50% in 1971, the latter continued to increase substantially to reach the same mark.

Furthermore, this trend carried on with residences owned decreasing to a low of all-time in 2001, at just above 30 percent while the same year reports the highest figures for the proprietorship of housing services registered close to 70%. In addition, the figures slipped down to nearly 65% for rented households, recovery is seen in owning them, over the decade between 2001 and 2011.