Essay topics: In many places, large chain stores are taking over the marketplace, making it impossible for small businesses to compete with them. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this situation?
Some people like to do shopping in large chain stores, while others prefer to small stores. A number of advantages which are connected with large chain stores are observed, whereas the drawbacks of these stores are not able to be denied.
From my point of view, to have a wide selective range of products, which we need is the first advantage of large chain stores. Furthermore, by opting these stores, we escape from going a long distance to purchase various products that it is difficult to find them together in a little store. Moreover,chain stores are established by big companies which have perfect connections with manufacturers. In this case, to buy goods in low prices is not very difficult for them. In addition, these companies purchase goods in a large quantity. Therefore,it causes the reduction of prices. As a consequence, customers can buy products that are not very costly.
As regards drawbacks, because of a large number of staples,sellers find it too hard to know about each product, while shop-assistants in small stores are able to give enough information about every product. Another disadvantage is that customers can not find personalized goods in chain stores, however, this kind of goods is very common in small stores. Additionally, people have to wait for a long time in order to talk with representatives in chain stores, while merchants talk to each customer and then individuality is in high degree in small marketplaces.
Overall,to me, people may enjoy shopping with the existance of not only chain stores but also small businesses owing to benefits of both kind of stores
- These days everyone seems to have more possessions(e.g. computers, cars, mobile phones, etc) Our strong desire to own these things is making us less aware of important personal qualities such as kindness and concern for others. Do you agree or disagree? (75)
- In some countries young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies. (70)
- Creative artists should always be given the freedom to express their own ideas (in words, pictures, music or film) in whichever way they wish. There should be no government restrictions on what they do. (80)
- Individuals can do nothing to change society. Any new developments can only be brought about by governments and large institutions. How far do you agree or disagree? (93.3333)
- Happiness is considered very important in life.Why is it difficult to define?What factors are important in achieving happiness? (52)
- When a country develops its technology, the traditional skills and ways of life die out. It is pointless to try and keep them alive. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? (45)
- In your opinion, which is more important for success, perseverance or good luck? (80)
- The charts below show how selected age groups purchased concert, cinema and theatre tickets online over the first three months of 2006 in three countries and how the Internet was accessed. (75)
- It is important for travellers and business people to understand the cultures they come into contact with, however briefly. What are the main advantages of doing so? What do you think is the main disadvantage of not doing so? (91.6667)
- There has been some controversy about the practice of companies in wealthy countries outsourcing labor to countries where wages are lower.What do you feel are the advantages and disadvantages of this practice? (95)