Memorization of information by frequent repetition (rote learning) plays a role in most education systems. Do the advantages of this method of learning outweigh its disadvantages?

Essay topics: Memorization of information by frequent repetition (rote learning) plays a role in most education systems. Do the advantages of this method of learning outweigh its disadvantages?

jeffzhou's picture

How to study better remains questionable to many people. It is quite common these days for students to learn by role, which has been widely used by schools. However, I believe the disadvantages of this phenomenon outweigh the positive results.

Repetitive studying methods would inevitably restrain students from developing their critical thinking skills. Such process will be associate with remembering vast amount of knowledge and doing similar questions frequently, which creates a boring studying pattern. As time goes by, students may be less likely to think actively and may fail to deal with new questions that are beyond the course content. Particularly for subjects such as mathematics which is largely based on logical thinking. This means that the answers for one question could be different if a figure has been changed.

Students would be demotivated by role learning. A repeating studying process is time consuming and energy consuming. Learners will find such activity monotonous that may eliminate people’s passion towards education. For example, school boys and girls in some Asian countries, such as China, are required to practice similar questions for hours after finishing schools everyday. Consequently, most of them end up showing a discontentment to schools and homework. In some extreme cases, some students choose to leave schools because of exhausted studying.

On the other hand, memorizing what people have learnt enables them to make a better achievement in exams. Students will remember what they did wrong and what the key points were, and therefore, they are able to avoid the same errors from being made again. This is why many students perceive this method as their last resorts before taking exams.

In conclusion, I believe that studying by rote should be encouraged at a minimal level because it stiffies students thinking skills and discourage them to learn actively.