Essay topics: Memorization of information by frequent repetition (rote learning) plays a role in most education systems. Do the advantages of this method of learning outweigh its disadvantages?
How to study better remains questionable to many people. It is quite common these days for students to learn by role, which has been widely used by schools. However, I believe the disadvantages of this phenomenon outweigh the positive results.
Repetitive studying methods would inevitably restrain students from developing their critical thinking skills. Such process will be associate with remembering vast amount of knowledge and doing similar questions frequently, which creates a boring studying pattern. As time goes by, students may be less likely to think actively and may fail to deal with new questions that are beyond the course content. Particularly for subjects such as mathematics which is largely based on logical thinking. This means that the answers for one question could be different if a figure has been changed.
Students would be demotivated by role learning. A repeating studying process is time consuming and energy consuming. Learners will find such activity monotonous that may eliminate people’s passion towards education. For example, school boys and girls in some Asian countries, such as China, are required to practice similar questions for hours after finishing schools everyday. Consequently, most of them end up showing a discontentment to schools and homework. In some extreme cases, some students choose to leave schools because of exhausted studying.
On the other hand, memorizing what people have learnt enables them to make a better achievement in exams. Students will remember what they did wrong and what the key points were, and therefore, they are able to avoid the same errors from being made again. This is why many students perceive this method as their last resorts before taking exams.
In conclusion, I believe that studying by rote should be encouraged at a minimal level because it stiffies students thinking skills and discourage them to learn actively.
- Memorization of information by frequent repetition (rote learning) plays a role in most education systems. Do the advantages of this method of learning outweigh its disadvantages? (80)
- Some countries achieve international success by building specialized sports facilities for top athletes to train instead of providing sports facilities that everyone can use. Do you think it is a positive or negative development? (93.33329999999999)
- Families who send their children to private schools should not be required to pay taxes that support the state education system. To what extent do you agree or disagree? (60)
- The graph and table below give information about water use worldwide and water consumption in two different countries. (82.5)
- Some people believe that children are given too much free time. They feel that this time should be used to do more school work.How do you think education shoudl spend their free time? (85)
- uccessful sports professionals can earn a great deal more money than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair. Discuss both these views and give your opinion. (85)
- The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030 (70)
- Some people think that the teenage years are the happiest time of most people lives. Others think that adult life brings more happiness, in spite of greater responsibilities. （important) (51.25)
- With the increasing demand for energy sources of oil and gas, people should look for sources of oil and gas in remote and untouched places. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of damaging such areas? (73.33329999999999)
- Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? (66.66670000000001)