In some cultures children are often told that they can achieve anything if they try hard enough What are the advantages and disadvantages of giving children this message

In some cultures, children are often told that they can achieve anything if they try hard enough.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of giving children this message?

Children in many nations around the world are educated that they can achieve any goals in life after sufficient effort. Embedding this message in youngsters’ minds can exert both positive and negative influences on their development.

On the one hand, when children are taught that every success can come after hard work, they will be inspired to try their best in all circumstances. This lesson becomes more persuasive if being exemplified by some globally renowned figures, one of which is that the fame and fortune of Messi – a football player – is attributed to his hard practice since his early age. As a result, children who are given this message will be more studious to gain better academic performance at schools, and in the future, they will attempt to work harder to have salary raise or promotion, or to overcome different obstacles in life.

On the other hand, imparting this message to the young entails several downsides. Firstly, it can create a generation of too studious students and too many workaholics, for they are educated that working hard is the main path to success. Secondly, giving children this message can be counterproductive if the young overlook and fail to enhance other vital characters such as creativeness. Their failure can come from other culprits rather than the lack of industriousness. For instance, a student can fail an exam, not because of insufficient diligence but ineffective learning methods. A hard-working businessman can only make a trivial profit because of his out-dated marketing strategies. But this lesson halts them from realising their true weaknesses.

In conclusion, guiding children to be hard-working is important to achieve their goals, but I opine that this lesson might come together with some detrimental impacts on their mindsets.