Statement — Minister Kenney issues statement recognizing Greek Independence Day

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 03/25/2014 - 13:01

Subscribe

Ottawa, March 25, 2014 — The Honourable Jason Kenney, Minister for Multiculturalism, issued the following statement recognizing Greek Independence Day:

“Today we mark Greek Independence Day, a national holiday celebrated in Greece to commemorate the 1821 Greek Declaration of Independence, when the country secured recognition as an independent nation.

“Greek Independence Day is celebrated annually on this date in Greece, and coincides with the Feast of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary – one of the holiest days for Greek Orthodox Christians. Across Canada, communities will mark both celebrations with parades and festivities.

“There are nearly a quarter of a million Canadians of Greek heritage living in Canada today, and their contributions to the prosperity of our country should be celebrated by all Canadians. Let us not forget that democracy, one of Canada’s fundamental values, was born out of ancient Greece.

“Today is an opportunity for those of Greek descent to take pride in their cultural roots and identity. I also encourage all Canadians to take the time to reflect on how those of Greek descent have helped shape Canada.

“As Minister for Multiculturalism, I extend my best wishes to everyone celebrating Greek Independence Day.”

For further information (media only), please contact:

Alexandra Fortier

Minister’s Office

819-994-2482

Media Relations

Communications Branch

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-952-1650
CIC-Media-Relations@cic.gc.ca

Building a stronger Canada: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) strengthens Canada’s economic, social and cultural prosperity, helping ensure Canadian safety and security while managing one of the largest and most generous immigration programs in the world.

Article references
www.cic.gc.ca